Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
pmcdanell  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2019 00:17:26(UTC)

Does anyone know who could supply and retro-fit an electric keel winch on a 275? the boat is in Ipswich now but will be in Chichester/Cowes in due course.

Philip

Ken Surplice  
#2 Posted : 02 May 2019 20:56:18(UTC)

Hi Philip,

There are several Parker 275 at Deacons Marina at the top of the River Hamble. At least three of them are fitted with electric winches. The yard team have a good amount of experience with the Parkers and should be able to assist you while using the installations in other boats to guide them. In the first instance I would call Deacons and have a wire with manager Nick.

Ken

Vol-au-vent

Ken Surplice
thanks 1 user thanked Ken Surplice for this useful post.
pmcdanell on 11/07/2019(UTC)
DickG  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2019 05:53:46(UTC)

Sorry I haven't checked on here recently!

Suggest you search the forum for electric keel winch related articles, as there are some problems with the Dutton Lainson type of winch - you'll find a lot of threads on here.

I solved the problem by removing the winch and replacing it with an electro-hydraulic system. It's described in this thread:-

Parker 275 - New Keel Hoist System

There is one unused set of the machined alloy parts in existence.

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36

thanks 1 user thanked DickG for this useful post.
pmcdanell on 22/07/2019(UTC)
pmcdanell  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2019 18:26:44(UTC)

Thanks. That is really helpful. Philip
Ken Surplice  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2019 18:34:40(UTC)

Where can I order a Dutton Lainson SA5000 winch?

It's winch time again. I've had two Dutton Lainson SA5000 winches fail on my P275. As others have had more success by modifying the cheeks of the winch, and my boat has all the wiring and hangars for it, I am going to try again. Step 1: order a winch. Step 2: get it beefed up. Step 3: fit and forget.

I'm off to a bad start as I try to source this particular winch. My last was supplied via UK distributor Aquafax. When I search their website it appears they no longer stock Dutton Lainson products. Searching for any of 'Strongarm SA5000' does not produce any results in the UK. I see that some resellers sell Strongarm electric winches, eg. Extreme Marine, Southampton, and Raptor Supplies in London. Before I ask them to place a special order, does anyone know of a supplier is likely to be familiar with this winch? Thanks for your advice.

Ken Surplice
Ken Surplice  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2019 08:50:13(UTC)

I've given up on a UK source. I will order from the USA. Dutton Lainson did not reply to my email enquiring who distributes their products in the U.K.
Ken Surplice
Phill  
#7 Posted : 29 September 2019 17:02:38(UTC)

Ken,

I have two winches in my garage (they came from Dick originally) that I have modified in a similar way to the one that I did for Flamingo a few years ago. Mine has worked brilliantly since I modified it. If you would like one of these winches you'd be welcome to have it. I'd just need you to cover the postage and the cost of the bits that I used which didn't amount to much.

If this wind ever stops blowing I will be able to sail home, I should be there by the end of October if you can wait that long.

Phill

Ken Surplice  
#8 Posted : 29 September 2019 18:07:02(UTC)

Hi Phil,

Fantastic. You are very thoughtful and may I say an excited "yes please". Any time is a good time and this will save the trouble of placing an order to the USA. Please contact me when convenient and I will come and see you or arrange postage.

Many thanks for coming to my rescue,

Ken

Ken Surplice
Phill  
#9 Posted : 29 September 2019 18:19:48(UTC)

Ken,

As soon as I get home I'll sort it out.

I'm based in Lincoln but have autumn trips to Bristol and the New Forest planned if that helps.

Phill

DickG  
#10 Posted : 29 September 2019 18:51:36(UTC)

Glad to see the old winches going to perform further service.

I need to correct one of the statements above - For the electro-hydraulic system I made [see link in my post above] , there is no longer a set of unused machined alloy parts available - the owner of a P285 has acquired them to replace his Dutton Lainson winch.

I will make a note to ask him to consider donating his old winch to Phil.

Regards

Dick

Edited by user 29 September 2019 18:53:56(UTC)  | Reason: clarification

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36