Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Martin Watson  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2019 20:15:23(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 92
Location: West Sussex

Hi all, we are fast approaching the last rally of the season, the Beer and Buses Rally to Newport. This is becoming a popular Rally so if you are considering coming please sign up here by adding you details in the forum below, that way people will know wholes is coming and it will keep the topic 'hot' on the forum page so folks don't end up wondering where the topic has gone.

I am iam intending to do both days this year (Saturday and Sunday) but if you can only make one of the days that's fine. With that in mind I plan to go over on the Friday to be ready for the off on Saturday morning, and will then be leaving on Monday. As it happens I have a cCourt case to attend on Friday morning (tenant eviction for non payment of rent for six months!) so am planning to go down to Newport on the evening tide, hopefully arriving around 9pm on Friday.

The tides are: (Portsmouth)

Friday HW 10:57 4.4M and 23:04 4.4M

Saturday HW 11:27 4.6M and 23:36 4.5M

Sunday. HW 12:00 4.7M

Monday HW 00:09 4.6M and 12:32 4.7M

(top of springs will be two days later on Wednesday)

Access for boats drawing upto 1.5M should be possible HW -2 to HW +2. There is water and electric along the pontoon which is on the eastern side of the river (left side) going down but the first electric point is about three boat lengths (30M?) along from the start of the pontoon. There are showers and toilets in the main Harbour Masters building. access requires a key from the Harbourmaster which if you are good, he will allow you to keep for your next visit!

I have booked us into the Bargemans Rest for an evening meal on Saturday at 1930 and will have a quick preprandial drinks alongside FRITH at 1830 (it's five minutes walk to the pub)

I haven't made any arrangements for Sunday, if anyone has any ideas, let me know early on so I can make suitable arrangements, otherwise we might go into town and see what we can find, or there is always Wetherspoons.

I am still waiting for a response from the Dairymans Daughter Inn as to whether they are going to put on the same guest beer as last year, can anyone remember it's name? It was pure nectar! If they do we may plan a quick side detour to Arreton before going somewhere else. We have taken the southern route to St Katherines three years in a row now so perhaps we should consider going West for a change ( I know, I've already gone west!) Hopefully they won't have a problem with getting all the buses onto the island as they did last year.

Boats that have expressed an interest so far but need to confirm, are Sophia, Altair, Zephyr and I believe Shockwave.

Please give Boat name, type, number of people and any dietary requirements. If your details aren't in the handbook, please also email me with your mobile and number.

please don't put them on the forum, it is public and unwelcome calls and emails might result. My details are in the handbook. under P27 FRITH

Martin Watson
Ken Surplice  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2019 21:48:16(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 244
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire

Hi Martin,

Thanks for organising. Please expect two on Vol-au-vent P275/25 without berthing in Newport but venturing to Newport to join the bus tour and dinner in the Bargeman's Rest. My plan is to arrive early Saturday and berth in East Cowes then connect with you and the group. I have to depart very early on Sunday to attend Hampshire Octoberfest at noon, bit of a theme this weekend, hence the need for an-all tide berth. If the weather plays up I'll arrive by ferry. My program is on its way to me already.

Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice
Peter Scrivens  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2019 22:03:08(UTC)
Rank: Member

Posts: 17

Hi Martin, Just to confirm that Zephyr is intending to come Friday to Newport and could do the two days. 1 for dinner at the Bargeman's please.

many thanks, Peter

peter lowry  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2019 13:38:31(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 234
Location: Hedge End, Hampshire

Sophia will also be there, two crew, planning to arrive Fri tide deffo here for Saturday not sure about Sunday yet,

but will let you know.

Peter

Sophia # 275

Edited by user 25 September 2019 13:39:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tim Reeder  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2019 15:46:18(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 123
Location: Fleet, Hants

Hi Martin

We are aiming to come weather allowing. We should be there Friday probably going back on Sunday.

Cheers

Tim & M

Speedwell

johniow  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2019 12:24:39(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 34
Location: Binfield, Isle of Wight

Nosey will be represented. I'll be joining the B&B contingent, and Thelma will come to the meal that night, so -

Two for the Bargemans please. No dietary requirements

Two recent photos of Newport Harbour at low tide looking north showing channel and mud flats. Hope this helps. Note the keel tracks!

Higher resolution available at this DropBox link

https://www.dropbox.com/...ZgFICBsSMdwvdoW0Wda?dl=0

See you there - John

IMG_7055Lo.jpgIMG_7057Lo.jpg

Edited by user 02 October 2019 12:21:52(UTC)  | Reason: Low-res photos now also in-line.

Nosey - Parker 325-26
Paul Gray  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2019 08:46:45(UTC)
Rank: Member

Posts: 13
Location: Fleet, Hants

Hi Martin,

Please add Donna & me to the list for the Bargeman's meal on Sat eve.

Sailing arrangements to be decided nearer the weekend.

Many thanks,

Paul (Indianna)

Shockwave  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2019 12:29:30(UTC)
Rank: Newbie

Posts: 8

Hi Martin,

Yes please Shockwave is coming on Friday and please add 4 to the Bargeman's meal on Saturday evening.

Many thanks

Julie

Martin Watson  
#9 Posted : 07 October 2019 16:19:07(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 92
Location: West Sussex

I have been watching the weather for the last few days and Friday seems to change every time I look at it, from F7~9 to F3~4 and back to F5~7 again, it is making my head spin. At the moment it appears as though it is going to be F4~6 in the morning and F5~7 in the evening when I plan to set out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that with three days to go, it will moderate again. I guess it is successive waves of bad weather coming through followed by calmer conditions in between. Lets hope that one of those calmer periods coincides with Friday. At the moment Saturday Sunday and Monday are looking very much quieter, so what we want is for the system that is forecast for Friday to come through early so that the quieter weather will prevail from Friday on rather than Saturday onwards. Keep your fingers crossed!

At the moment we have Frith (1), Vol Au Vent (2),Zephyr (1), Sophia (2), Speedwell (2), Nosey (2), Indianna (2) and Shockwave (4), so 8 boats represented (6 for Newport mooring as Nosey and Vol au Vent will stay in Island Harbour) and a total of 16 people for the Bargemen's Rest.

Martin Watson
Paul Morris  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2019 20:20:47(UTC)
Rank: Member

Posts: 21
Location: Sutton Coldfield

Hi Martin. The Blackjacks intention was to be there with two on Friday, but it’s not looking very good. Still intending to travel down Friday morning, but we might not be able to get to Newport that day. If not we will intend to be there Saturday for the meal. I’ll keep you updated. Regards Paul.
Martin Watson  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2019 21:56:51(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 92
Location: West Sussex

Unfortunately the weather Gods are not being kind again. So as not to disappoint you all by not having my boat there for the Saturday pre meal drinks on the pontoon, I am intending to take my boat over tomorrow, probably to East Cowes, come back on the ferry for my chores on Thursday evening (DQSC Committee meeting) and Friday morning Court case then go back over on the ferry and move my boat down to Newport as soon as there is enough water ie around 8~9pm. If anyone else manages it on Friday evening or earlier I will see you there or if not, those of you who propose coming over on the ferry, I will see you on Saturday morning, which of course is looking far more benign.

As I intend to do both Saturday and Sunday, (leaving on Monday), it may be an idea for those who want to come by boat and don't like Fridays weather, to come up as early as possible on the Saturday first tide. it may be possible to get upto Newport by 0830~0930 and since I am planning to do the 'B' route to Freshwater, on Saturday, the first bus does not go till 1010 from the quayside immediately alongside where we will be moored. If anyone is interested in that option and enough people agree, we can wait until the second bus which goes at 1050 Please let me know. I will need to know the numbers for the Bargemans Rest by latest Saturday morning before we leave so that I can let them know, so if you cannot make it, please text me on my mobile number which is in the handbook - FRITH P27

Regards

Martin

PS I note that some of you do not have a mobile number in the handbook, specifically Paul and Donna and Leuen and Julie, if you would like me to be able to keep in touch with you so that we all know where we will be, please feel free to text me you mobile numbers DO NOT POST THEM ON THIS WEBSITE. It is not secure and Geoff has been having some issues with unauthorised access to the website, hence the reason I am not giving out too many details of boat owners or my own details. They are in the handbook.

Edited by user 09 October 2019 22:19:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Watson
Paul Gray  
#12 Posted : 11 October 2019 09:37:37(UTC)
Rank: Member

Posts: 13
Location: Fleet, Hants

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your update - will text mobile number.

Our current plans are to depart Deacons Saturday morning on the half-flood stand at around 0700-0800. Looks like it might well be a motoring passage in light winds to Newport so that we arrive mid/late morning. Please don't wait for us to catch the bus - we'll text/phone on arrival and hope to catch you up somewhere on the bus-route.

Our intention for Sunday will be to depart Newport as soon as poss on the morning flood tide.

Regards,

Paul (Indianna)

Ken Surplice  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2019 12:12:24(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 244
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire

Does anyone want to join us for a day trip on Saturday, to get a reduced ferry fare?

Crew Vol-au-vent plans a non-sailing day trip, departing Southampton early Saturday in time to join Martin as he sets off, and returning late Saturday evening, hopefully after the organised dinner. If we can get four people in a car it is cheaper than the foot passenger rate, at around £12/head. Any takers? The car has four spare seats and a volunteer non-drinking driver. Every extra passenger will bring further reductions. Otherwise we'll most likely go by train and cat.

Ken Surplice
peter lowry  
#14 Posted : 14 October 2019 17:39:22(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 234
Location: Hedge End, Hampshire

Fab weekend had by all.

8 boats with 2 by road. Considering the weather was a bit wet.

Well done to Martin Watson for his sterling organisation

Same time next year

Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.