PSSA Flag
The Parker and Seal Sailing Association

Skip Navigation Links
You are here: Skip Navigation LinksHome > Forum
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
NormanR  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2018 21:06:04(UTC)

I have recently purchased a 235 having previously owned Super Seal and Parker 27
I find the keel very hard to raise much harder than Seal & 27
Has anyone any ideas how to lessen the load.
Has anyone experience of Winchrite?
John Edwards  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2018 11:08:05(UTC)

Hi Norman,

I have no experience of the Seal and 21 so can’t really comment. Ditto Winchrite

Raising the keel my 235 is not the easiest of experiences – in fact when it is out of water and the boat yard lift so I can antifoul the keel – it is really hard work.

At this stage I usually slap loads of marine grease on the leading edge of the keel then once in the water, using a brush taped to a stick, yet more. Also, I make sure that the roller is free. This seems to help but who knows!

Wonder if anybody else has a similar problem/solution?

Regards
John
235/07 Diamond
NormanR  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2018 12:53:47(UTC)

Thanks John, obviously a design fault, what we are going to try is replacing the pulleys with a 4&3 to see if that makes it any easier.
I have spoken to the Winchrite guys who said that they have supplied in past for PARKER keels.
James Hamilton  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2018 09:29:04(UTC)

It is hard but manageable, I get my weight directly over the winch (lowering the spray hood) and do it with a rest in the middle. Planning to replace the top block with a Barton size 4/5 triple ball race block, (the rope got caught between the pulley and the block sides, damaging the old block). Hoping that will make it easier. It might be worth checking the blocks and the run of the ropes, in case something similar has happened to you.

Peter Scrivens has a system with an electric drill to raise the keel, but don't know how effective it is.

I have not found it necessary to continuously grease the blocks or sliders, however my boat is kept out of water so that might make a difference. I also replace the lifting eyes in the keel top fairly regularly (2 to 3 years).
NormanR  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2018 17:43:00(UTC)

Thanks James, better start going to the gym again.