Jesper
2007-02-06T21:30:17Z
Hi

Is there a way to see if the main sail is wear down? I mean if it is to loose and out of shape. Either I need the old sail to be fix by a sail maker or replace it with a new one. I have got an offer for a new one at about 520 £. Any one wants to give me some advise. Thanks

Kind regards

Jesper

Neil Sinclair
2007-02-16T18:45:21Z
Hi Jesper

First check your mainsail is not damaged. Check that the luff ropes and slides are all good and not worn. Check that any repairs are still sound. Check that all the battens are secure and not broken.

Now hoist your mainsail up the mast. Start with only a little tension in the haliard and a little tension in the foot.

Sail on a beat in a light wind with the sail sheeted home. Look up at the curve of the belly of the sail. The deepest part of the belly should be in the middle of the sail, or slightly towards the mast. If it is, your sail is OK. If it isnt, try pulling harder on the haliard. If you can get the belly into the middle, then you could use the sail for another season or two. If the deepest belly stays in the after part of the sail no matter how hard you pull on the haliard I guess you need a new one! I got a good sail at very reasonable price from Crusader sails.

Good luck! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Jesper
2007-02-23T13:09:10Z
Hi Neil

Thank a lot for your advise. The sail is not damage and as fare as i can see no repair has been made. I will try out your recommendation at first chance and wait to see if a new sail is needed. Do you have any advise regarding the rig. I have read that the mast should lean 5" aft. I think this is difficult to see as the mast it self bends. The pin-bolt in the mast foot should be in hole three, but from the front or aft?. If you have any input please let me know.

Regards Jesper[:)]