stibbles
2011-03-04T05:24:37Z
Hi,

I am searching for a trailable sailer and a Parker is high on my list. More likely a 21 rather that a 235 on grounds of budget, but the latter is certainly attractive and perhaps if there was an older model available, then just possibly.

My sailing ground would be primarily be The Wash & N Norfolk, appropriately enough for a Parker.

I have been a bit put off by comments from posting on another (PBO) forum, not specifically about Parker yachts, but the notion of taking to the ground on hard sand as I perceive I would want to do at Wells, Blakeney etc.

I've had several comments along the lines of "mud fine, but you wouldn't want to take to hard sand in a lifting keel boat - better go for a bilge-keeler".

May I solicit the views of those with direct experience of the boats in which I am interested? I certainly remember seeing either a 21 or a 235 on the ground in The Run at Wells last summer.

Many thanks.

Gary
2011-03-04T12:21:59Z
If you are considering a drying mooring on hard sand with a lifting keel I would discount it. Ok if you want to anchor and dry out here and there on hard sand we often do providing the sea state will allow us to gently settle and making sure that there is nothing about that may put a hole in the bottom of the boat. Depending on conditions we used to drag a couple of fenders underneath the chine to sit on.

All of the experiences above were with our last trailer sailer a Swift 18 that we owned for twenty years.

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Geoff Harwood
2011-03-04T14:13:41Z
Hard sand might seem a bit hard when you jump off and run about on it but sand underwater seems to be capable of puddling itself into shape to nicely cradle a boat descending with the tide. I've dried out my 21 on hard sand at East Head, Pilsey I, Bembridge and Bramble Bay, Poole with no concerns.

sean
2011-03-04T19:27:45Z
Dry my Parker 27 out regularly on hard sand, never a problem but obviously you can only do this in sheltered waters, if there are waves around it might not be advisable.

Dryed it out a few times on shingle as well and again no probs.

Its what these boats do best, a bit of common sense with attention to the local conditions is all thats needed.

stibbles
2011-03-04T21:25:41Z
I'm thinking more keeping in mud and drying out on sand from time to time (maybe up to a week at a time). So posts so far sound quite positive, thanks.
ARRussell
2011-03-04T22:56:41Z
Hello Stibbles,

I echo all the aforesaid. These Seals are great at 'hauling out' on their bellies, though I'd say sailing is what they do best of all! As Geoff said, the tide flow sculpts the sand around the hull so that it 'nestles' into it, bolt upright.

I've read your thread on the PBO forum and noted that it's gone the same way as all the other threads asking about small yachts: lots of old boats from the '60s and '70s have been recommended! Parkers always seem to get overlooked, especially the 235, often because they're considered expensive. But they're much newer (and better!) than most other small boats, so they're bound to cost more! There doesn't seem to be anyone on that forum who knows about Parkers. I think your original analysis was correct.

I don't understand why you've been advised to get a bilge-keel boat in order to dry out on mud, sand or gravel. Bilge keels are an advantage on stony ground. Obviously, you'd never try to dry out in any sort of swell, but then that's the case in any sort of boat, including bilge-keelers. You've rightly concluded that a lifting-keel boat will be much easier to launch and recover - especially if you get a break-back trailer with decent rollers.

Being able to take the ground opens up so many more interesting cruising options and allows you to escape the crowds. Ending a passage by sailing up a quiet river and drying out in the upper reaches is magic.

You also said you wanted room for children. If you can stretch to a 235, you'll find the under-cockpit berth is ideal for stowing nippers and, unusually, the two remaining bunks are a proper length. It's a boat on which you can cruise with your family, make offshore passages, enjoy excellent sailing performance and then haul out with the family car at the end of a fortnight away and unload into the boot!

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

smiffy
2011-03-10T02:50:46Z
Hi Andy,

I note you said trailerable?........So I am assuming that you have in mind that you will trail your boat home in the winter, but leave her on a mooring during the season? The reason I am asking for clarification is that as I am sure you are aware, there is a world of difference between a trailer sailor, and a trailerable sail boat.

Well for now let's assume that it is as I am surmising and you aren't in fact wanting a trailer sailor, firstly I would concur with just about everything that has been said previously, and would only add that my inclination would be to go for the 21, just on the grounds of easier management on and off the trailer, and that for your budget, you will like as not get a better 21, than a 235. plus if you have the budget for a 21 and a 235 at a stretch, I would say that the difference could be put to good use on the 21?

I sail out of North Devon, and I can tell you that taking the ground is what we do, no choice really, a boat that wont take the ground around here is a bit of a liability to be honest. I am a newcomer to Parker Seals etc. and have just bought a Seal 22, as it happens my moorings are in soft clean sand, and I am happy to let "Morveren" take the ground and just lean over a bit. If I was spending the night aboard, I would look for fairly deep soft mud, or hard sand and use her legs, as long as the tide isn't likely to tear in around her at a great rate of knots. But I digress! I have had all kinds of boats here in N. Devon, such as Swift 18, E-Boats, Westerly bilge keelers (a couple), and I think that as long as you choose your ground a bit you are not likely to come to grief in a P21.

Now as I said, I am a newcomer to these boats, and because of that my opinion may not carry much weight, but I just wanted to offer my support for your thinking on the matter really. In mitigation, I have been sailing in N. Devon for about 35 years so far, and drying out all that time without loss or damage. Go for it Andy.

Cheers, Ray. (I will skulk orf back to the 22 forum now)[:D]

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384

(the last one built by John Baker)

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384

(the last one built by John Baker)

stibbles
2011-03-11T06:47:05Z
Cheers, Ray. Yes, I was definitely thinking trail-able rather than frequently trailing.

My intention would be to have a mooring at Gibraltar Point (Skegness Yacht Club) and probably to keep her there nearly all the time except for a few trips further afield in the school holidays. Hope I'm not being presumptive re: the mooring, but I have spoken to the friendly and very helpful Commodore.

One of the issues I will have is somewhere to keep the trailer as I don't have room at home. I should ask some local nearby farmers. However, does anyway have experiences to share from asking caravan parks etc?

Topic drift, but what would expect to pay to store an empty trailer?

andydingle
2011-04-15T21:31:09Z
Hi Stibbles.

I read your post with interest as I am a member of the SYC, although I am currently sailing my newly acquired P285 out of Titchmarsh Marina.

Some years ago I frequently crewed with my friend who had a P21 at Gibralter Point, it was absolutely ideal for this location, and indeed further - we did in fact sail it across to Holland, via Lowestoft on one occasion.

She would suit your needs perfectly there. No problems too of waiting for the tide to float you off like some of the others at Gib! Negotiating the channel too is a doddle - well, easier than some of the deeper draft boats!

Regarding storage, there are numerous caravan storage parks in the area and I am sure some would help you out. Contact me if you would like more info on this.

Hope to see you 'in the mud' soon!

Regards

Andy

stibbles
2011-04-16T13:40:45Z
Dear Andy,

Great to get a response based so closely on what we are thinking about! And very good to read about how the v shoal draught improves access at this particular place. Haven't taken the plunge yet. Thinking about waiting now until moving house, which might be fairly soon, and having somewhere with the outside space to store the boat. However, if we don't I well may get back to you about the caravan parks - good idea.

Thanks,

Andy (Stibbles)

Marvin Kowalewski
2013-04-09T05:57:00Z
Hi...

Drying out on sand ..or beaching works great with these boats...just note that you may have to lift the speed sensor usually mounted ahead of the keel on a Parker 27.

Marv Kowalewski

Parker 27 #138

Port Charlotte, Florida

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D