Steve Meakin
2007-03-05T12:38:29Z
I currently sail a Marcon Striker (fin) off the northumberland coast. I am interested in the flexibility that a trailorable boat can provide. The 235 appears to be well specified boat but I am interested in personal experiences of their sailing attributes. Are they good sea boats? Are they stiff? How are they in large swells and chop? When do you reef (F4/5)? Does anyone sail one off the Northumbrian coast or out of the Tyne? Although I would be making use of my current fore/aft mooring i would like to nip over he pennines to the Clyde or Cumbria .... is launch and recovery easy? What out board engine size is best? ...... not many questions! but all answers or feedback will be appreciated.

many thanks and regards

steve

Graeme
2007-03-06T08:52:52Z
Hello Steve,

I'd get ready for a whole lot of discussion on this one! I've owned my 235 since last summer and have been very impressed. I have an old PBO boat test report on the 235 that was full of praise for her sea keeping. If you email me your address I'd happily post this to you.

I sail in the Forth estuary mainly, and I would typically reef in about a F4.

I can't comment on launching as I have tended to use a local boatyard to crane her in and save the wear and tear on the trailer. A 6hp outboard is recommended, I have a Honda BF6, which is easily derestricted to 8hp.

When I was looking for a trailer sailer, the 235 was my choice based on the sailing performance and my family's insistence on a separate heads compartment!

Regards

Graeme

PaulBurton
2007-03-06T10:08:33Z
Launching is very easy...

Recover is a simple process, if you have a 4wheel drive..I have been dry sailing mine at Rutland this winter. This involves launching and recovering every time......

I would not like to try it without 4 wheel drive, remember you are pulling nearly 2 tons up a wet slippy slope....

The 6hp engine seems to be fine....if you are looking at new then you can use a short shaft as the newer ones have been modified so you can sail with the engine raised. I use the Honda 6hp long shaft.

As for sailing....it is the best boat I have sailed....I come from dinghy sailing and this is the closest thing you can get to a dinghy with a lid. I have only sailed it at sea once so cannot comment on her sea abilities yet!!!

Only 3 weeks to go and she will be on the sea again....

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-03-06T13:07:56Z
hi Steve

i owned a 235 for 3 years [ 285 now]

sailed about 40 day and weekend sails a year in F2 to F7 so got to know the boat well This was all on the sea along the south west coast.

i would describe it as a fun lively boat which you reef early [ F4]

only occasional slamming in choopy seas. Great to sail singlehanded.

I had an extra spectra halyard fitted for a storm jib which gave me backup in strong winds. Sails fine with just the jib. Engine 6HP was fine although going slower in a sea [ used to motorsail if speed dropped too much]

as a previous writer, used a crane to lauch each year but judging from other comments with the right car lauching is OK

There was an article in Sailig Today on 'Gentoo' exploits in the south west 2 years ago.

regards

charles

charles clements

Spartacus 285

2007-03-06T14:39:40Z
Hi Steve! Utterly agree with Graeme, there is little else around in this size with a seperate heads! I have yet to launch mine so can't comment further except I researched it all thoroughly (see my letter in Sailing Today magazine Feb 2007) and am not expecting to be disappointed! Parkers are great to deal with in a reassuringly traditional way and this association very helpful. Good luck!
Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

Graham Ebb
2007-03-07T12:35:42Z
Hi Graeme,

I have 235 number 25, and this will be our forth season. We keep her at Rutland on a mooring now but dry sailed there for the first season. We have also trailed her to the East Coast river, down to the Solent and upto Windermere, so have done quite alot of launching by trailer. It is the easiest boat to launch that you could imagine. We simply reverse to the waters edge, but chokes behind the wheels and unhitch, fix on a strong rope between jeep and trailer and then reverse in untill she floats clear.

Recovery is the same but in reverse, except it make life easier if you recover using a slipway with an adjacent pontoon. Because these boats are lift keels, there is little to control the stern of the boat when recovering. It depends on you to keep it in line.

With regards sailing, these are designed as cruiser/racers. Therefor they have plenty of sail area and need reefing sooner rather than later.

If you buy new you can specify the sail controls to suit your type of sailing, eg main sheet traveller etc. They are a very responsive boat, can be sailed on main or jib alone and turn on a sixpence. At Rutland we are not allowed outboards as it is a reservoir, so we leave and pick up our mooring and come along side the pontoons under sail alone, very maneuverable.

As most people have done, I spent much time researching before buying and have not been disappointed, they are the best! and their British, and have good after sales support.

You should also now that because they are so well thought of, the second hand prices are higher than you might expect compared to other nearly new boats and they sell very quickly.

I was the first to sail a 235 at Rutland and now their are seven at our club, what more can I say!

Regards

Graham Ebb

235/25 Blue Jazz

Paul Bowman
2007-03-11T08:55:59Z
I was sailing Kinkajou in the Solent yesterday. My wife isn't keen on sailing and doesn't like the boat heeling. It was a good force 4, so I had 2 reefs in and, a reduced genoa in order to keep my wife happy. The boat sailed like a dream and crossed the Solent in no time.

I've had the 235 since last September and this was my 4th time out. She really is a nice boat and such a step up from my Swift 18.

Paul Bowman

235/17

Paul

Hunter Pilot 27, GiGi

(ex 235 owner)

Steve Meakin
2007-03-16T14:34:20Z
I thank you all for your replies and am impressed with the very passionate regard you all seem to express!

My plan will be to sail through this season and keep an eye out on this and other web sites for a suitable used version as the new and nearly new prices are still a little prohibitive.

Thanks again and I wish you all steady breezes and happy seas through the coming season.... the spring is just around the corner!

regards

Steve

sean
2007-04-11T20:04:12Z
hi paul,

i notice from your details on another site that you had a anderson 22 how do you find the 235 performs compared to them. (i know the anderson well)

PaulBurton
2007-04-11T20:13:01Z
The 235 is so much better in every way..

The rudder is better...the keel is better...the interior is better..and she handles a lot better....

Your not stalking me are you sean ????

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

sean
2007-04-12T20:10:03Z
how do you find it tenderness wise compared to the anderson
PaulBurton
2007-04-12T20:21:31Z
The 235 does like to sit on her ear.....and you do need to reef earlier...

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362