peter lowry
2007-03-06T18:45:22Z
Does any one have any info or has replaced the cutlass bearing on the prop shaft

what would be toe approx cost and how difficult is it to do

many thanks

Peter lowry
On behalf of Leonie Keynon superseal "FOCA" # 41
Mike Edwards
2007-03-07T07:30:27Z
I replaced the one on Aztec and it was about £25 DIY.
On a Seal 28 you take off the prop, undo the 2 bolts of the outer bearing, then use stiltsons to unscrew the bearing housing from the "deadwood" and sterntube. There were grub screws holding the bearing into the housing. Knock out the old bearing, press in the new. Clean out the debris of the old sealant. Screw the housing back with plenty of mastic, and align bolt holes (I believe it is best to try and leave the last 1/8 - 1/4 turn slack), leave mastic to go off, then replace and tighten the bolts, bedded in mastic, and grub screws.

It looks like John has sold Foca, where will Foca be sailing now? Please ask Leonie to be careful how she pronounces the name when calling on the radio.[;)]

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
peter lowry
2007-03-07T12:34:54Z
Hi Mike
Foca will be based in Portsmouth and yes the name could be very easily mispronounced !!!
Leonie used to own Seal free *95 and went on to a Warrior40 but has now come back to a Seal
John has bought a Kelt 9 mtr !
Ken Surplice
2007-03-23T21:29:31Z
Peter, hurry up and learn. Then you can help me replace mine [:)]. On the name PHOCA, this is perhaps related to the word "Seal" in another language. This is the acase in French. I will stop here as this is a technical issue thread.

Ken Surplice
Vice Commodore
Ken