PaulBurton
2007-03-11T20:41:04Z
Going to order a new spinnaker from Quantum sails this week...

My boat has the halyard and pole.....but what else do I need.

Sheets ??? what size and how long...?

Where do the sheets go back to ???

I guess they need a block each side !!!

Any one got any pics of there set up.....?

Do people use a snuffer bag ???

Sorry for so many questions in one go...

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Graeme
2007-03-12T09:32:11Z
Hi Paul,

Congratulations on your new purchase, it really does transform downwind sailing.

I have two 8 or 10mm sheets about 2 x the LOA of the boat. The tack line is 12mm about 1 x LOA that runs through a block clipped on to the end of the pole and has swivel snap shackle to clip to the tack of the spinaker. The tack line goes back to the 2nd reef line clutch on the coachroof.

Let me know if you want any more info

Graeme Parker

235/22 "Gentoo"

Graham Ebb
2007-03-12T15:08:00Z
Hi Paul,

I guess you are meaning an asymmetric spinnaker, that is the standard for the 235, rather than a true spinnaker.

With the asymmetric spinnaker you will also need a bow fitting and a D-ring on the coach roof to mount the spinnaker pole along the foredeck, so that it projects forward like a short bowsprit. Not sure where all the strings go!

It is my intention to purchase an asymmetric spinnaker later this year also, so I will be interested to know further details.

Graham Ebb

235/25 Blue Jazz

John Elliott
2007-03-12T16:54:56Z
John Parker of Quantum is a super friendly guy who will answer all your questions and point you in the right direction gearwise. The requirements are different depending on assymetric/symmetric etc.
275/30 "Cascada"
PaulBurton
2007-03-12T18:00:34Z
Thanks for the replys so far...

It will be asymmetric.....

I already have all the fitting for the pole and the pole......

Where do the sheets go back to ????

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-03-12T19:06:03Z
Hi Paul - I've not had a spinnaker yet but HAVE had all the fittings. There are two half inch "eyebolts" which sit about a metre from the rear of the boat on the outer edge of the side decks which I beleive take blocks. It is too dark here now to photo mine, but here is a photo of Bill's ex-demo boat and you can JUST see the eyelet at the very bottom edge of the photo (actually you can see the shadow of it!). Trust this helps? Also, Bill re-inforces the spinnaker pole if it is to be used for a spinnaker as oppossed to just mast raiser.

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

PaulBurton
2007-03-12T19:25:54Z
Ah ha....I have those 2 eyelets.....thought they were for jack stays...!!!!!!!!

I hope the pole is the right pole...I have the halyard, these eyelets, the pole fixings for the bowsprit...I would think the pole is right...

So I guess the best bet would be some auto ratchet blocks and shackle them the the eyelets...the spinnaker sheets would not want to be cleated off anyway...

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-03-12T20:56:34Z
I think Bill simply reinforces the pole with a timber insert. Ask him which blocks are best?
Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

PaulBurton
2007-03-12T20:58:28Z
Think I will pop in and see them tomorrow....oh the joys of living 15 miles from Parkers......

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

John Elliott
2007-03-13T12:03:38Z
If you take the spinny sheets to the winches you won't want ratchet blocks, just something low friction. All down to personal preference--and how high up the windscale you intend to fly the beast!
275/30 "Cascada"
PaulBurton
2007-03-13T18:43:39Z
Went to Parkers today....

Bill was not there, I spoke to him on the phone....he is going to give me a quote for all the bits I need..

He said....

Rachet blocks for the sheets...

Tack as described above....so you can adjust the luff while sailing..

He did recommend a snuffer....

Will keep you all posted..

My signature.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

2007-03-13T18:55:59Z
Looks like a few people don't have spinnakers initially...

Will be interested to see how you get on Paul.

I think we'll have enough on this year and will treat ourselves for next season, but we'll see....!

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

James Hamilton
2007-03-15T13:05:04Z
I have an assymetric (tri radial) and snuffer from Quay Sails Poole, slightly smaller I think than the Quantum sails (about 300 sq ft I think, but not sure how they measure it).

Having tried the snuffer, I wouldn't be without one. It works very well.

I find the sail works well except dead downwind where I like to put a whisker pole on the sheet ( I have a reefing one from Compass, only for light winds however).

http://freespace.virgin..../sailing_solent_2005.jpg