NeilB
  • NeilB
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-09-18T14:07:34Z
Hi,

I'm on the lookout for a trailer for Papoose, my P21. I've seen a trailer for a P235 advertised on the site and wasn't sure if it would suit a P21. I spoke to RM trailers about it and they've told me that it won't because the wooden profile that the hull sits on wouldn't suit. They also said they wouldn't use just rollers because as the hull shape is quite beamy/flat it need a profiled support to take the load properly. So all in all now not sure now what type of trailer to look for? Ideally I wanted to pick up a good condition used one, maybe 3/4 years old. - RM trailers wanted just under £3K for a new one!

Can anybody offer any advice? Thanks

Neil

Geoff Harwood
2012-09-18T22:53:51Z
My 1990 P21 came with a trailer of the shaped beam type that you had to completely sink to get the boat off. In 2002 I got home having had the boat lifted on by crane to find the whole winch post dangling from the bow U-bolt. Further investigation showed the rest of the frame was similarly almost rusted through.

RM Trailers made a new trailer that year. I specified break-back so you don't have to get the wheels wet and a split axle so you can drop the keel through for painting etc.

I left the design of the support structure to them and it came with no shaped support beam but 21 rollers. That did mean that there were 21 bits you couldn't paint but on the other hand you could pull the boat back and forth to get at those bits in stages.

It also cost a bit under £3000. But it looks like RM have forgotten how to make them!

Geoff Harwood ex P21/30 Cygnus

Gary
2012-09-20T12:04:06Z
Hi Neil,

Our P235 trailer doesn't sit on any wooden profile (I know some do) and the rear of the boat overhangs the trailer quite a lot as it should, it is well supported by the various rollers and those could be easily moved or additional ones purchased if neccesary so I would not discount this type of trailer for the Parker 21 without having a good look at it to see if it were suitable. I suppose most P21's have a single axle trailer which would be less maintenance. Here is a pic of our trailer manufactured by RM Trailers.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

NeilB
  • NeilB
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-09-21T10:10:03Z
Hi Geoff/Gary,

Thanks for your replies. It would seem then that a trailer with plenty of rollers would take the hull suitably then. I like the idea of the split axle to allow the keel to drop. Thanks again,

Neil