Ken Surplice
2015-07-16T11:37:04Z
Folks, can you help please? I am removing my Stowe Dataline speed / depth and databox. On removing a seemingly unwanted wire from the databox the engine oil and alternator warning sounded. Why would a databox be connected to engine wiring? Thanks for your advice. Ken
Ken
DickG
2015-07-19T04:48:10Z
There's a manual for a product of that name online at:-

http://www.strath.ac.uk/...s/Dataline-X_DATABOX.pdf 

It shows a connection to the engine-on switch, but that shouldn't give the result you describe.

Dick

Dark Star P275 No 36

Ken Surplice
2015-07-21T22:24:17Z
Dick, you are always so helpful on this forum and I thank you for pointing me to this manual. I spoke again with the person that found the wiring problem and learned that I didn't quite get the facts straight. Here's a corrected story:

1. the fitter asked me about a strange sound which I identified as the Yanmar engine panel alarm accompanied by red lights

2. he had seen a red wire connected to the data box. When he reconnected it to the new instrument, presumably 12V positive, the alarm sounded

3. it turns out that he then disconnected the mysterious red wire and the alarm stopped.

In summary, the red wire is no longer connected and all is well. Now I will refer to the manual and try to work out what happened.

Thanks again - Ken

Ken
Ken Surplice
2015-07-21T22:28:45Z
Of course... As soon as I started reading the manual the purpose of the offending wire became obvious. I'd forgotten that the Stowe display showed accumulated engine hours, which the Databox was logging. Mystery solved 🙂. Cheers!
Ken
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2015-07-22T12:51:29Z
Hi All

I recently had some problems with my Wind speed readout and found the Stowe Marine people very helpful.

Jan Newman

325/32

Blue Moon