PaulBurton
2007-05-14T16:20:48Z
For those that didn't go....It was cancelled...

With gale force winds on the day the organisers cancelled..

We drove 215 miles on Friday then battled across the Solent in the rain on Friday night. When we got there the electricity was off in most of Cowes.

The race was shorted on Friday night, Put back On Sat morning moved further back on sat afternoon, then cancelled.

We went out for a sail anyway. Blowing a force 7, big seas but we had come a long way.

With every thing well stowed, full wet gear, harnesses, life-jackets, no.3 reef in we went out for about 20mins then went back to Cowes before we broke something.

The boat handled it fantastically...

On Sunday we had another very wet sail to Bucklers hard...Broad reaching at 7.5knots...

Enjoyed the whole weekend and it was worth the £90 in petrol and long drive.....

When is the next one ???

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-05-14T16:50:47Z
UserPostedImage

Why do these things never look so bad on a photo....???

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
2007-05-14T19:24:50Z
Sorry you had a wasted trip Paul.....and you're right, rough conditions never show up on camera. We had a force 12 in Alaska (on a cruise ship) but whatever I did I couldn't catch the size of the waves on film!

Not that anyone wants to know, but we had a glorious weekend up here...!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Don Harvey
2007-05-14T20:38:04Z
Paul

The positive side to this is that you have all the information you need for next years race.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
PaulBurton
2007-05-15T07:39:41Z
But I will still be asking lots of questions....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-05-15T11:38:44Z
Paul,

You don't have to wait for next year, you could always do the full Round The Island Race on the 23rd June. 1600 boats did it last year. I am in for the third time this year. Came 196th place overall in 2005, not bad out of that many.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
2007-05-16T11:11:59Z
So now you can ask alot of questions THIS year Paul!!!!!!!!!!![;)]
Just kidding!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Don Harvey
2007-05-16T15:11:07Z
Graham

I only did the real RIOW race in my Parker 21. Even though the start line stretched almost across the Solent, I was forced onto the outer limit buoy in the crush.

I decided to carry on as:
a) The thought of trying to sail back into the throng of other boats was too scary to contemplate.
b) I hoped no one had noticed.[;)]

All went well until I was well past Catherine's Point lighthouse when the dreaded 'Parker 21 No 58 disqualified' message came through on the radio [:0] - for those who have not done this race this type of message is heard all day!.

We carried on racing knowing that although we would not get a time - we would receive the pewter mug all finishers receive.

I have to say that sailing in this race is very memorable.

http://www.sealasc.org.uk/the_fleet.htm#Parker21 

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
Graham Ebb
2007-05-18T10:19:34Z
Don,

The plan was to do it in friends Parker 21, but as the right boat came up, a 235, and a buyer for his old boat we are now using a 235.
We have found it quite a good experience and an enjoyable weekend, all be it very exhausting one. We are looking to be within the top ten in our group this year ! But you never know what might happen.

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
PaulBurton
2007-05-19T16:43:46Z
I thought one of the organisers may have commented on this thread !!

I'm sorry but we felt very let down. There didn't seem to be any organisation for the weekend.
Yes, they were right to cancel the race on the Saturday but not once were the skippers called together to discuss.
We felt that the whole weekend was organised around the meal on Saturday night and that the meal was more important than the sailing.
We found one of the organisers on Friday night in the pub and he told us that the race was being put back to a later start time. Then on Saturday nobody was sure what was going on.

Not once over the 3 days did we get chance to sail along side another Parker !!!

I know the forecast was not good and nobody can do anything about that. We chose to do the 6 hour drive each way, nobody made us do it.

We had a fantastic weekend, but that was nothing to do with the PSSA.....!!!

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Don Harvey
2007-05-19T17:01:25Z
Neither of the two organisers are members of the Forums. I'll send your message to them for comment.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
2007-05-21T17:35:20Z
I am sorry that Paul feels let down by the organisation of the RIOW race. Until late on Saturday morning I was hoping that the race could be run and was as disappointed as am sure he and his crew were that we reluctantly decided to cancel.

I was not aware of any uncertainty amongst the skippers or crews as to the developing situation as I made a point of speaking to each boat individually and keeping them informed of my thoughts on the matter – fortunately a relatively simple task for those who made it to Cowes as we were all berthed within a few feet of each other. If anyone was uncertain as to the position I can only apologise.

I am glad that the two boats that made the trip round to Bembridge had an enjoyable sail and on the Sunday we had a great run down the Western Solent to Lymington – by then the wind had shifted into the south and it was a beam reach all the way.

I am also pleased that everyone enjoyed the weekend despite everything the weather threw at us – let’s hope that 2008 is kinder!

Jonathan Houston
Parker 325 Tilikum