johniow
  • johniow
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2017-11-11T17:49:50Z
The IoW Council are running a "Workshop" next Tuesday evening called " Newport Harbour is changing ... ", for which I've got myself an invitation.

They're, and I quote from the email, "focusing on mapping what is unique and special about the Newport Harbour Area and review together the working drafts of the strategic project objectives and engagement rules. You will also hear from the Leader of the Council, the Regeneration team, local experts, the work completed to date and be inspired by project ideas and stories from elsewhere."

I know it's a popular destination for PSSA Rallies, so if you have any thoughts, wishes, criticisms (constructive or just moans) let me know and I'll pass them on.

I obviously have too much time on my hands ...
Nosey - Parker 325-26
philip linsell
2017-11-12T17:33:13Z
John
Thanks for thinking of us.
I recall various promises of developments at Newport Harbour all of which came to nothing, maybe this will be the same.
For myself it's the almost rustic which appeals to me, I like cheap venues.
As any major changes will no doubt increase charges all I would suggest is a bit of a make over/tlc on the showers.
I would not like to see major dredging as this would encourage deeper keel boats.
I know I'm being selfish, for us, I leave you to say this without sounding like it!
Cheers
Philip
Ilovemyseal
2017-11-12T21:08:43Z
Hi John
I echo the feelings of Philip. Newport is a special unspoilt harbour, which has everything a boaty person desires.
It is not a glossy marina - thank goodness. There are enough boat parks down the other end of the river to satisfy people
enjoy going from one marina to another.
Why not celebrate the fact that Newport is different, has maintained its difference and should be proud to do so.
I for one would not visit if it became another marina.
Please pass this on
Regards Leonie Kenyon
Martin Watson
2017-12-03T21:47:16Z
Hi John, I think that what makes Newport attractive is its quaintness and the fact it is a little bit off the 'beaten track' to get to. Are they concerned because they are not getting enough visitors? or are they wanting to increase their revenue from the harbour? It would be a shame if they changed the slightly old world charm just to make a buck, that being said, a small investment in improving the existing shower/toilet facilities would be welcome and possibly increasing the number of power points on the pontoons would help for those boats that are not self sufficient in power production (even my boat Frith, suffered as there is not much direct sunlight for my solar panels) apart from that, a general spruce up but nothing major, I like it just about as it is. If I want to go into a marina, there are enough up river but Newports slight inaccessibility are what appeals.
Martin Watson