kate.hattersley
2007-06-08T18:58:06Z
Check those eye bolts again folks as I thought mine was okay (on Beeline my P275) but last week after racing I was winding up the keel when there was a bang [:0] and the keel dropped to the bottom of the box. After much pondering and waiting for the tide to go out the boat settled down onto the keel which pushed up through the box. We were able to drop a mousing line down to the secondary eye bolt where the indicator line is attached. With a bit of old mainsheet and the electric winch we could pull the keel up a little at a time until it was close enough to attach the main wire to the secondary bolt. Now I'm waiting for the boatyard to carry out tricky surgery to drill out the old bolt and fit a new one. I'm kicking myself because I almost replaced the bolt in the winter but decided to leave it one more year. On the plus side I can scrub the boat down mid season so maybe I'll keep the barnacles off!

Kate

Kate
Tim Reeder
2007-06-08T20:32:59Z
Kate

Sorry to hear that. I was lucky last year my bolt had almost corroded through so I replaced it this year. I reckon they last about 2 to 3 years reliably.

It sounds as if you are OK with the keel not stuck down which might happen if it comes down hard.

Hope to see you maybe in August in Falmouth weather permitting.

Cheers

Tim

John Williams
2007-06-12T08:57:32Z
Kate

That is bad news. I went down to check mine last night and found I have some work to do. The eye on the strop looks quite badly corroded but the winch eye looks in reasonable shape. They will both be changed asap though and I'm wondering why these are not of a high grade stainless. Anyone know the correct thread size? I can't find any mention in the ownwers manual of the size or that these eyebolts need checking on a regular basis.

John Williams

275/60 CRYSTAL

John Williams

GWENLLI

Beneteau 323

mike pollard
2007-06-12T14:59:57Z
I changed my eye bolts this year (275 no.59)and was surprised by by the amount of corrosion. I obtained replacements by return of post from Parkers for a few pounds. The old Eyebolts turned by pushing a screwdriver through what was left of the metal and fitting a long extension pipe over the handle. The bolt thread was as good as new with the grease still on the shining threads.

The latter was advised in an old forum article and works well.

The reason the eye bolts are cast iron I suspect is due the strength required under load. Also other metals might cause a re-action if dissimilar metals are used.

I wish all the luck that I had

Mpollard

Mpollard
Tim Reeder
2007-06-12T18:15:50Z
Hi

I found a useful source of lifting eys near Reading but I am not sure if they are still going. I have a few in my toolkit - they are not expensive and are an essential item to check. If when you renew them you put Copperslip on the threads they will stay in good shape even when the top rots.

Mike is right about the cast iron. They are rated lifting eyes with a specific load rating.

Ken Surplice has a very useful home made tool for undoing them down the casing!

Hope this is useful.

Tim Reeder

John Williams
2007-06-13T09:23:47Z
I'm glad to hear the eye bolt threads are likely to be good. I was afraid of shearing them if I used to much force. I was going to use an allen key in a socket to remove them. Put the L shape through the eye, connect the socket to the allen key and away we go.....I hope. I've ordered some eyes from Parker, it seemed the easiest option. Should have them by the weekend. Are there pics of Kens eye bolt removing tool? How is your work going Kate?

John Williams

275/60 CRYSTAL

John Williams

GWENLLI

Beneteau 323

Tim Reeder
2007-06-14T21:50:51Z
John

Ken's tool is a long tube you fit over the eye with a bolt that you put through the eye - assuming you can reach it. It has a hole in the top you can put something to twist the tube with. It is very effective as the eye bolt is held by the tube bolt and can't be dropped when it is free. I haven't got a picture.

You could send him an email.

Cheers

Tim

John Williams
2007-06-19T09:26:35Z
I removed the winch eye bolt with my allen key and socket method but could not shift the strop one. The winch eye looked brand new and didn't really need changing but my mind is now at rest with a new replacement. The strop eye will have to wait until the boat is out of the water. It's servicable at the moment and with the winch eye brand new not much too worry about.

I will probably make up a tube and bolt tool for the next attempt on the strop eye as I think more force could be applied with it.

Cheers

John Williams

275/60 CRYSTAL

John Williams

GWENLLI

Beneteau 323

kate.hattersley
2007-06-19T23:40:26Z
Progress report or rather lack of progress!

The boatyard are all lined up to do the job but their crane is broken so they can't lift anything. Meanwhile we are limping along on the indicator line trying not to pull too hard! prevention is better than cure so I'll keep checking the new bolt once it's in place.

Kate

Kate
kate.hattersley
2007-08-12T17:22:25Z
Update: The boat came out of the water and to my alarm there was a 1cm crack at the bottom of the centreplate casing where the keel has pushed the rollers and the bottom of the case out presumably when it fell. The yard have dug out the crack and will be repairing it next week but my summer cruise to Falmouth is off sadly. Moral: prevention is better than cure!

Kate

Kate
Tim Reeder
2007-08-13T18:39:10Z
Kate

Oo nasty! It might be worth discussing with Bill Parker as he may have come across before.

I will keep checking the bolts!

Cheers

Tim

Don Harvey
2007-08-14T17:17:09Z
Tim

When I had a 275 I did happen to discus with Bill what damage could be caused if the bolts sheared. He told me that dropping the keel to ensure there would be no damage was a test they had carried out, so I'm surprised to hear of Kate's experience.

Notwithstanding that, I regularly checked the bolts and replaced then with the first sign of wear as it's so easy to do. I also changed the cable a couple of times but found that more of a chore.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey