Martin Gray
2019-09-20T17:13:48Z
I am proposing to replace the headlining on Ariel this winter. I would be grateful for any advice on choice of material (foam backed or carpet), where to obtain it and any useful tips for removing the old and fitting the new lining. Is it necessary to remove the inner moulding around the saloon hatch cover as part of the project?
regards
Martin Gray
Ariel
Parker 27 141
peter lowry
2019-09-25T13:10:54Z
Hi Martin
Sorry for delay in replying.
My 275 needed her lining replaced a few years ago,mainly in the forecabin, it was originally foambacked and perished with time so avoid.

I removed and kept all the linings as they are great template to pattern the replacements ,avoid foam, i went with bob standard hull lining and lots of evostick adhesive, didnt bother too much about removing to old glue which was a bit nasty and sticky, my thought there was the new would stick to it anyway
any old foam left, i used a wire brush taped to a hoover as this can leave a mess too... not the nicest of jobs but now looks fab once finished.

Have a look online just put in boat hull lining.

hope this helps

Peter Lowry
Sophia #275
Martin Gray
2019-09-27T07:58:01Z
Good morning Peter,
Thank you for your reply, time to start searching for the right colour material and plucking up courage to get on with it!
regards
Martin
jalbery
2019-10-25T16:33:22Z
Hi Martin

I did this a couple of years ago with the headlining in the main saloon. The foam had disintegrated and so the material was sagging and when I removed the panels the plywood had started to rot. I didn't need to remove anything other than the four plywood covered panels.

I got all the material from hawke house (https://www.hawkehouse.co.uk/) who were also helpful with advice and provided samples. I used white foam backed vinyl as that was a direct replacement for the previous lining and 4mm exterior grade plywood which I cut using the old panels as a template.

Two pieces of advice from my experience...firstly, the old adage of measure twice, cut once and, if you do use the foam backed vinyl, cut through the foam carefully.

Hope it works out for you
James

Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1
Martin Gray
2019-10-26T13:20:11Z
Hello James,
Many thanks for your advice. I have contacted Hawke House and now have some samples. I am considering installing an insulation layer and then use of their pr- glued lining. Ariel is being lifted out next week and so once in her winter berth I can make a start.
Regards
Martin
Phill
2019-10-27T07:33:33Z
Martin,
I took a different approach with Flamingo's headlining. I used 3mm birch faced ply from Brooks Brothers and routed v grooves along its length to give a planked effect, then painted it white. I made new varnished oak strips to hold it all in place. On the back I added a layer of 5mm self adhesive closed cell foam, which means that we don't get any condensation on the headlining. It looks great and has been much admired.

Phill
Martin Gray
2019-10-30T21:06:03Z
Phil,
Thank you for your reply. Does flamingo have a skylight in the saloon - if so I was wondering how you tailored the ply around the hatch.
Regards
Martin
Phill
2019-10-31T17:23:16Z
Martin, just the usual glass panel that the companionway cover slides under. The is an aluminium angle extrusion that covers the exposed edge of the headlining. I have got half of the headlining down at the moment, I'll get some photos when I visit the boat next week.

Phill
Martin Gray
2019-11-08T19:27:39Z
Thank you Phill, hear from you soon.
Regards
Martin