Nickm
2020-09-07T11:29:22Z
Originally Posted by: PeterDann 

Hi Nick, Congratulations, which one?

Yes that looks like my anchor. The hoop apparently is the clever bit that rolls it over to make the spike dig in.

No relevance to your question but I was tickled by the title of this thread, as I came across some original and potentially embarassing anchor damage this season which I would love to have prevented. Released from lockdown no-overnighting in early July I made a beeline for Devon - so stir crazy that I happily set off into the high twenties on the nose. I was dismayed to find water in the boat but put it down to a leaky hatch and simply sponged out in Yarmouth. Next day even more wind, two hours into Christchurch Bay and even more water. Heading below I discovered the focsle now had a water feature at the sharp end caused by the bottom of the anchor well splitting. Every time the bow went through a wave (most of the time in those conditions) a thin sheet of water squirted through and onto my brand new bunk cushions. Back to Yarmouth and a morning with the harbourmaster's hot air gun and a quantity of glass fibre mat and resin and the holiday began rather late, and remained damp for the full ten days.

Moral of the story for all SS26 owners - whether your anchor is 7 or 10kg and regardless of what brand it is, have a good check around your well before you put the bow into a wave, and maybe investigate preventing the anchor from bouncing up and down on the floor of it. I suspect Mr Baker was thinking weight saving plus Lark-sized grapnel kedge when he built the front end of the Super Seal.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks for getting back to me Peter with the interesting story and advice. I bought Mistral from my friend Fred (a member on here) late last year. I had a quick look at the anchor locker this weekend but spent most of it sailing the river Orwell 🙂. It needs a good clean out as there was a substantial amount of mud in the port side compartment and a previous owner has laid an inch of foam matting inside the starboard side. I currently have a CQR copy, approx 15kg (too big) and a Danforth type of about 5kg (too small) on board which i think i'll just use for the rest of the season and and try and buy one that fits over the winter. Given what you've said regarding the leak, i'll try to minimise the movement of it in the locker by way of a strap and/or foam matting if i can get it to fit. I was thinking of this 6kg Delta  anchor as it would probably fit, but from what people have said, 6kg might be a bit light? Having said that, this is my first yacht so only sail in light or modderate conditions and only in the rivers of suffolk/essex and occasionly in the bay off Felixstowe if the weather is good. I would like to end up with an anchor in the locker for next season so i can deploy quickly if necessary without too much faff. Thanks again, Nick.
2020-10-07T17:58:08Z
Hi Nick, I spotted Mistral at Pin Mill earlier this year and I am the owner of Pindara which is moored near the buoy where I saw Mistral. I have a 7Kg Bruce anchor and I am very happy about it, I never dragged in the sand or mud. Also it does not seem to bounce at sea and I am not worried about it as it is all packed up once the chain and rope is inside, but I never sail at sea when the forecast predicts more than 1.5m of waves.
Anyway, if you are moored near Pin Mill I would be more than happy to show you how I fit the Anchor in the locker, always nice to meet the owner of a Super Seal!
Cheers
Arthur
Nickm
2020-10-07T19:55:41Z
Originally Posted by: Rêveur Intégral 

Hi Nick, I spotted Mistral at Pin Mill earlier this year and I am the owner of Pindara which is moored near the buoy where I saw Mistral. I have a 7Kg Bruce anchor and I am very happy about it, I never dragged in the sand or mud. Also it does not seem to bounce at and I am not worried about it as it is all packed up once the chain and rope is inside, but I never sail at when the forecast predicts more than 1.5m of waves.
Anyway, if you are moored near Pin Mill I would be more than happy to show you how I fit the Anchor in the locker, always nice to meet the owner of a Super !
Cheers
Arthur

Hi Arthur, good to hear from you.

I was tempted to buy Pindara a few years back when it sat for sale in Kings boat yard, but it just wasn't the right time then. I bought Mistral last year and am really pleased I did, what a great boat (even if i do say so myself) . Thanks for the info about the the Bruce anchor, I just bought a Rocna 6kg and am going to try that this weekend but it would be good to see how yours fits in case this doesn't work out. Next time I see you on the mooring, I'm come over and say hello, please do the same if you have time; It would be good to have a look at your setup and share tips.

Look forward to meeting you soon.

Cheers,

Nick.
PeterL
2020-10-08T10:50:42Z
For what it is worth here is a photo of a 10kg Kobra anchor fitted into the locker of SS Mk 2 #131.The fact that it folds allows a slight twist to reduce the height and allow the lid to fully close.
IMG_20200530_150814630.jpg

Click to View Image26 View(s)

In fact I use it stowed to self launch from a newly fitted lewmar roller extension .The inadequate original bow roller is retained to pass warps etc.