Doug Rivers
2020-05-26T19:50:28Z
I have one but only ever come across wheel steered versions. Am I the only one?
peter lowry
2020-05-27T16:00:48Z
hi Doug
i am aware of 2 others with tiller steering, but there may be a few more

Peter Lowry
Commodore
claeyssens
2020-06-03T11:29:38Z
Hello,
My 325 is with tiller steering

Four improvements for the 325/335
1) The hardest improvement:
A tap on the gasoil tank. I had bactéries in the diesel oil twice even with the bacteries treatment. So I had to take down the Ebersbacher heater and turn the stainless tank in the little cupboard.
I made a spherical hole with an ordinary iron saw (during 3 days) and I put a Vetus tap. It was easy to clean the tank after. I think it is a security to have a tap on the tank.
2) The easiest improvement:
I put a plexyglas piece upon the 2 keel holes when the keel is down. I am always afraid something falls inside the keel well.
3) the gratefullest improvement:
I put a non rigid solar panel(145 watts) on the top of the srayhood. I can move it on the deck, on the boom or in the lifelines around the boat.
The fridge can work proprely.
4)The simpliest:
I have a 325 with a tiller steering. When I am alone on board I cannot leave the helm some seconds. The boat turns immediately very quickly. I can put the pilot but in Harbour it is not so easy.
I have put a cork with a ring inside in the 2 holes for the cockpit cover and an elastic is tied to the tiller each side.
I can send some photos but I don't know how to do here.
Best regards
Pascal Claeyssens
Maruli P/27
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2020-06-09T17:04:42Z
Hello
Cascade (P17) is tiller steered . Saves a lot of weight aft and I notice the transom is clear of the water unlike Blue Moon which has wheel steering. Lazy Days #41 (Ex Winefre) is also tiller steered, quite a lot around actually . We could now enter into a long argument over the drawback and benefits of each steering technique. I like the tiller when I am actually steering but it sweeps a large area of the cockpit if there are plenty on board however in fact I don't spend that much time steering most of the time I am on autohelm and the mechanism is quieter than the tiller pilots.
And so it will go on , each to their own I guess.

Jan Newman

325's 17 and 32 .
Doug Rivers
2020-06-13T09:06:44Z
Thanks everyone, I was beginning to think I was the only one!

My question was only out of interest. I’m sure there are pro’s and cons. I too prefer to steer with a tiller but also put the auto helm on most of the time as I like looking around and drinking coffee.

I have a flexible solar panel which is fitted to the deck behind the centreboard cover. The only issue is that it’s easily damaged by standing on it. I’m on the second one.

I think the biggest improvement we made ( Suffolk Yacht Harbour to be accurate) was refitting the forward cabin in very light colours, replacing the long shelves on either side with a cupboard incorporating an open small shelf for cups and fitting a further shallow cupboard under the anchor well. Previously it was dark brown carpet and very uninviting. Quite upmarket now particularly with the en suite 🙂 .

Hopefully one day I’ll actually see another tiller steered version.

All the best.

Doug
DirkB
2023-10-05T19:05:32Z
I have wheel steering P335 #45 myself. When searching on internet I came across a P325 (advertised as a 335) from 1996 in St Lucia. It looks strange to me as the boat has a steering wheel but no rod connection to the rudder.

IMG_8122.png

Click to View Image18 View(s)

IMG_8121.png

IMG_8120.png

https://stlucia.boatshed...ts_335-boat-316725.html#