RKetz
  • RKetz
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-09-07T19:52:48Z
Hi All,
Our Keel winch failed on Sunday. Keel is stuck down, anti-clockwise will un-thread the handle. Clockwise locks up.
Is it accessible to have a look if you remove the table top?
Is it a simple mechanism or common problem? I have zero experience in this area.
Are there any pictures or documents on the assembly of this part?

Any info greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ross
RKetz
  • RKetz
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2022-09-12T18:42:06Z
Despite zero replies I thought I'd update this in case anyone is looking for info in future.

I removed the table top. Unbolted the steel channel keel lifting assembly.
The tapered bearing was shot. I totally removed the threaded bar, it has a slight bend in it.
Ordered a new bearing (Timken A6162 - 45quid) to replace the broken one . I'm hoping this will get us into a position where we can wind the keel up again.
If not, I might see if I can get the threaded bar straightened or get a new piece.
philip linsell
2022-09-13T15:27:05Z
Ross
That should cure the problem, a slight bend in the bar should not be an issue. plenty of grease when you assemble and take care when winding the keel up. Don't overwind, that's probably how the last block was stripped.
How do the wires look? Could be time to replace if any signs of wear or corrosion. For access, wind the keel up, fit a pin through the box/keel and release the winch and unwind the mechanism.
Philip Linsell
Rascal 26
Tulena 22 a long time ago!
DenisBrophy
2022-09-18T10:12:05Z
Hi Ross,

Sorry to hear you have had problems with your keel winch systems.

I had a seal 22 (Elsa 122) and I found the Seal 22 handbook very useful when servicing the keel winch mechanism.
A pdf copy of the handbook is available from treasurer@parkerseal.org.uk

I used a company called Ashley Bearings for spares.

Cheers
Denis

Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member
2022-10-11T18:10:13Z
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problem. If you are looking for parts please let me know.

I have Sealia up for sale, but she has not sold.

I am therefore thinking of scrapping her in the next couple of weeks.

If your still in trouble I may be able to supply a complete working assembly.

I have a couple of people looking to buy her this week end and then make the final decision

Ray