Jesper R.
2007-09-22T00:21:05Z
Dear friends, i´m the happy new owner (7 months) of a Seal 22 MK III. What a lovely boat. Thank you for letting me in this forum.

My masthead is in very bad shape, does anyone here have some good ideas, is it possible to find a new one or should i just make one by heart.

Jesper

Geoff Harwood
2007-09-24T17:16:07Z
I haven't seen a Seal 22 mast with detachable top. People who put their masts up and down a lot often have trouble with the foot and will probably have some answers. Is yours upside down?

Geoff Harwood

Jesper R.
2007-09-27T11:01:41Z
Dear Geoff

Thank you for answering my question.

At the top of the mast, there is a small aluminum plate covering the mast top, it is attached with 6 rivets down in the mast. That plate is almost broken where the stern tack is attached to it. It is probaly not original, and i have not seen how the stern tack is attached normally.

Please forgive my english, i´m not sure i know the right maritime expressions, hopefully the meaning should be clear.

all the best

Jesper

Geoff Harwood
2007-09-27T15:25:58Z
I wonder if your stern tack might be what we would call a backstay. A wire from masthead to stern, usually adjustable to control the bend of the mast. The Seal 22 was originally designed without a backstay but I know some owners have fitted one and yours could be an example. I think you will need to make your own new plate, perhaps making it a little stronger in the place where it is cracking.

Geoff

Jesper R.
2007-10-02T22:07:36Z
This is exactly what i mean, thank you for your help Geoff