Stephen Morgan
2007-12-28T21:18:23Z
The thermoelectric (i.e. no compressor) cooling unit in the coolbox on my recently acquired 275 seems to struggle to make much difference to the temperature in the coolbox. It appears to be the original unit (approx 10 years old) and the fan is working. A very similar replacement unit is still available but I have heard that thermoelectric units may be less electrically efficient than compressor based cooling units. Thermoelectric units also have an fairly limited maximum temperature difference between the inside and outside of the unit of only about 20 Celsius I understand.

Does anyone have a satisfactory result from the factory fitted thermoelectric unit?

Has anyone ended up fitting a compressor unit and if so where did the compressor motor and associated bits go?

Any comments would be most welcome. Thanks.

Stephen Morgan

Parker 275

Poole

Stephen Morgan

Parker 275

Poole

John Elliott
2007-12-29T20:04:55Z
Stephen,

I have exactly the same problem. Even over the last couple of very cold days on the East Coast (while I have been using the boat afloat as an hotel) the unit was drawing frightening quantities of amps and even then not getting properly cold. On my last boat I had a Frigoboat keel-cooled unit which was fantastic. But then we built a "box within a box" on excellent advice. To my mind therein lies the rub. Insulation, or lack of it. Namely the lack of sufficient insulation around the coolbox itself.

At the moment I am pondering installing lots of aerosol foam in the furniture surrounding the box. A friend successfully did this on his Maxi 1000, but I worry about "popping" the furniture apart under the pressure!!

It must be a problem encounterd before but I have not yet found a thread on this site.

275/30 "Cascada"

275/30 "Cascada"
Don Harvey
2007-12-31T11:46:45Z
Stephen

I think John has hit the problem on the head - lack of insulation. Actually there isn't any at all.

I had the same problem on my 275 and pumped insulating spray along the back of the cabinet facing the hull. I also drilled holes into the space from within the locker under the sink leaving one at the top for any expansion and to let air escape while spraying. I must have used 3 or 4 canisters (can't remember exactly) but there was no effect 'popping' of the woodwork.

The only issue was that I stopped spraying, not because I was expecting problems, but simply that I thought 'surely that's enough'. I can only assume there must be a considerable space through which cooling can be lost.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Regards

Don Harvey

Mike Edwards
2008-01-01T12:16:22Z
Hello

Happy new year, its sad news though about John Baker.

I looked at portable thermoelectric cool boxes and although they were cheap they all made a noise like a distant jet engine, and were not thermostatically controlled. I am a very light sleeper and felt sure the noise which would be on constantly would keep me awake.

I bought a Coolmatic CF18 portable fridge, this only draws on average about 0.5 amp per hour. They are very expensive but the almost silent compressor running is well worth it.

It is just large enough for a couple of days perishable provisions for 2, or 1 days beer for 2, whichever you prefer.

It is also more than capable of acting as a freezer, as I found out when we made the tea one morning, after accidentally knocking the temp. control up to high.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

John Elliott
2008-01-02T12:41:06Z
Noted Don.

Does any one have any idea how much space there is between the aft (cockpit) bulkhead and the coolbox, and the hull outboard of the box? Does the space outboard continue all the way under the locker with the perspex sliding doors, and even, uninterrupted, into the space behind the cooker?

There could be lots of foam required!

275/30 "Cascada"

275/30 "Cascada"