Don Harvey
2004-11-14T17:27:00Z
First posted : 25/06/2000 18:04:48

I have a electric winch keel lifting system on my 275 and I noticed on a recent inspection that the metal eye to which the wire is connected is corroded.

Does anyone know how to replace this metal eye. Does it the removal the keel to do so?

Thanks

Don Harvey

Don Harvey

Regards

Don Harvey

2004-11-14T17:28:00Z
I met the same problem and according to a rumour happended to another Parker 27,5 that the entire sword has fallen throough the bottom.

This is what I haven done to it. A sleev was made of 0,5' long that folded over the sword on the place where the corroded bolt-eye was sawn off. On the sleeve was a sheave welled through which the cable went. The end of the cable was fatened above in the box. So the electrical motor needs only app. half the power. If you need a drawing I can provide these. Im am still thinking about an electrical stop when the keel is total up and down so the cable is not more unrolled or when up to tight then necessary.

S. Voerman, Nederland

Don Harvey
2004-11-14T17:28:00Z
Dear Mr Voerman

Thanks for responding. Since I posted the question I did speak to the builder, Bill Parker. Apparently it is an eye with a screw thread. Bill says it is difficult to get out but not impossible. I'm going to have a go when I get the boat out this winter. I think I will need a large T bar that will fit over the eye. I'll let you know how I get on.

By the way, I did raise with Bill the possibility of a failure in the eye or cable. Bill assured me that they had to test this as part of the safety check on the design of the boat. If it falls from the top it will not fracture the hull and fall though (or so I am assured!).

It is nice to get a response from someone in Holland, but I see you are not in the SSA. Why not join as we do like to keep check on as many Seal and Parket boats as possible. I don't think we have a member in Holland.

Best regards

Don Harvey

Regards

Don Harvey

2004-11-14T17:29:00Z
Dear mister Voerman,

Whe are the proud owners of a Parker 275, number 41. My wive and I sailed the boat last week from Stavoren in Friesland to Oostmahorn in the North of Friesland (a province of Holland).

We would like to get in touch with mister Voerman who also owns a Parker and lives in Holland. Today I red his comment on the possibility of a falling liftkeel. Bill Parker assured that this isn't possible, but perhaps it's good to take precautions anyway. Therefore we would like to have a copy of his solution of this unlikely but -with Murphy's law in my head- possible problem.

Also we intend to become member of the SSA, devison Parker 275.

We hope to get all possible info to get all oiut of this extremely fine boat!

with friendly greetings,

Olga & Ale Hansma

Holland

a.hansma AT hccnet.nl

Ale Hansma

2004-11-14T17:29:00Z
Dear mister Voerman,

Please be so kind to contact us. We are interestted in your experiences with the Parker and your solution to fasten the liftkeel.

We are also living in Holland, the Norh of Friesland, to be exact.

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Ale and Olga Hansma

Hegebuorren 25

9151 HR HOLWERD

HOLLAND

0519-562204

a.hansma AT hccnet.nl

Ale Hansma

Tim Reeder
2004-11-14T17:30:00Z
First posted : 15/10/2000 19:06:46

My keel made some clonking noises when I raised it from the lowest position today (incidentally coming back to Chichester from the start of the Clipper Round the World race at Portsmouth).

Having looked into the keelbox from the top I can see all the way down to the water to its rear when it is fully raised ie the rear roller was not touching the casing.

Although it raises OK, I am concerned that something may be amiss with the roller of nylon block at the keel end. Speedwell is coming out in two weeks so I will find out.

Any thoughts?

Tim Reeder