Ken Surplice
2006-08-11T22:46:00Z
Hi Folks,

On our P275 we are prone to mast shake when the wind is somewhere between F4-5. As I am trying to get to sleep, the whole mast, and therefore yacht, will shake when the wind hits a critical speed. It lasts for a couple of seconds, but can repeat frequently. As the in-mast halyards then rattle, it adds up to some disturbance.

I tried different tensions on the backstay, mainsheet, topping lift and sail stacker, but no adjustment made any difference. I presume that resonance is a function of mast length rather than rigging tension, so in theory rigging tensions will make no difference.

Have you found this problem? Have you found a way to minimise it? All advice gratefully received.

Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice

Ken
Tim Reeder
2006-08-12T15:17:00Z
Hi Ken

Speedwell is in the middle of a long trip around Brittany. We are now at the mouth of the Morbihan.

On mast shake we have not had that whilst stationary, but I was amazed at the coincidence of the message, because we have been suffering from a mast groaning or graunching when sailing slowly over small swells. I have tried copious amounts of WD 40 on the gooseneck, but although it is probably related to the boom I cannot find the source.

On mast shake the only thing I do to help shut the boat up at night is tie the boom over to one side - probqbly (blasted french keyboard!) will not help.

So sorry for no solution. All goes well with us though we had a very bumpy sail down the Quiberon peninsular with me bouncing off a winch - still a bit sore!

Cheers

Tim & M

Tim Reeder

Ken Surplice
2006-08-13T00:13:00Z
Hello Speedwell. Thanks for the note. We do tie our mast to one side and it still shakes. However, the fact that yours does not give me hope to keep tweaking. As I write, I am still in Brixham. For as long as I can remember the wind has been N-NW F4-5 but tonight it sounds like the end of the world is nigh as the wind howls through the rigging and, of course, shakes the mast. We'll stay here for another day and depart on Monday for Lyme Regis. Sorry that your mast groaning continues. We have nothing like that on Vol-au-vent. Happy travels. Ken p.s. there is a Speedwell garage in Brixham. We've seen the cave and now the garage!

Ken Surplice

Ken
2006-12-14T16:42:00Z

Tom Hartinsonn

2006-12-14T18:07:00Z

Tom Hartinsonn