Nick Paine
2004-11-17T16:22:00Z
Hello, i hope you won't mind me posting a message here. We are looking to replace our Seawych, which was our first keelboat, we have had it not quite two years. We bought it as an experiment to see if we would get on with a keelboat, as the wife didn't like the dinghies. It has been a great success, but now I want something that sails better, and the wife wants something with more room. Coming from many years of performance dinghy sailing, i am attracted to boats like the seal, anderson, jag 22, prelude etc, whcih i am led to believe will sail quite nicely, but not break the bank. Can anyone persuade me why the seal would be the best choice ? All information and thoughts gratefully received. We are on the south coast near portsmouth, and we have a drying mooring.

Thanks, Nick

Nick

frank_marsden
There are fifty Seal 22 onwners in the 2004 handbook with email addresses.

Can at least one of you have the cuortesy to respond

Frank Marsden

Frank marsden

Neil Sinclair
Hi Nick

I have a Seal 28 which I bought to replace a bilge keel boat 3 years ago. I also keep her on a drying mooring in Chi harbour. Here are some comments which you might consider. The Seal will give you more work in lowering and raising the keel, and also maintaining the mechanism, but it will sail much better and float in less water - you will get off your mooring earlier and be able to sneak into places like Ryde earlier than everybody else. You need to be aware, though, of the ballast stub still under the boat. If you dry on hard sand, the boat will heel over causing much complaining from the family. I use legs to stop this. If you like creek crawling the central keel is also helpful if you touch - simply wind it up a few turns. Bilge keelers have that nasty habit of slewing off course when you ground in a narrow channel, the Seal will continue to point in the right direction.

Good luck! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Nick Paine
2004-11-17T16:23:00Z
Hello Phil, thanks very much for your interesting comments. Yes it does sound good, and the difficulty to windward in short chop seems to be the main problem (if you can call it that - i suppose it's onl really a problem if you insist on trying to go to windward in such conditions !), that for example the Anderson 22 is supposed to be better at dealing with. But apparently the Seal is better in the lighter winds etc.

Thanks again, and sorry for the delay in replying

Nick

Nick

Phil L
2004-11-17T16:23:00Z
We also considered Anderson 22 but were not impressed by the accomodation. The berths seemed to be awkward and enough height at the aft trotter boxes for hips when turning over (me turning, not rolling the boat, I mean!). Also no side decks, so over the coachroof which seemed a bit exposed. The SSA is another plus for the Seal 22. Another worthy boat if the emphasis is less on accomodation, is the Hunter Medina. Sails like a witch and quite a few around at ~ £5 to 6K. If you really like to spend time aboard relaxing, the seal is the most comfortable, and the table over the keel is a real focal point. There seem to be many comfortable places to wedge a cushion to relax with a glass of your favourite, a book and the sunshine overhead, as the children (perhaps not) swim around the stern to the beach.

My favourite night aboard was in Walton Backwaters, sleeping in quarter berth with hatch all opened up and staring up at stars to see a comet overhead.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Phil.

Phil Longhurst

Ken Surplice
2004-11-17T16:24:00Z
Hello Nick. We have a Parker 275 but started with a 21 so can give some indirect comments on "why a Seal 22". The Solent seems to be busier than ever these days and already someone mentioned the advantage that a lifting keel brings in this respect. For example - even if you do not dry out on legs, a lifting keel is a great advantage to park up in the shallows of Newtown River. Another example is Yarmouth, when you can go around to Sandhard pontoon and the side by the main channel is full, you can creep around the shallow side which usually has space. When these places get busy for conventional draft yachts, there is always room for more Seals. Cheers-Ken

Ken Surplice

Ken
2004-11-17T16:25:00Z
If I say I have owned S22 'Deerover' for 17 years and I will not be selling--- even when I win the lottery--- (new sails, new ob engine and professional paint job)then you may get some idea.

Although it is not a true trailer sailer, say for a weekend,it is quite feasible for at least a week . Deerover has been sailed , mainly single handed, round Anglesey, in the Solway Firth, to the Isle of Man, in the Clyde, on Loch Lomond, and on Windermere and Ullswater. With careful planning it can all be done alone:even mast raising launching and recovery. Although I have had a few near disasters when I forgot my next move.

It is a very comfortable boatfor 1 or 2 to live on for a week or so. Sails well, is solidly built and is forgiving.

ajnield

2004-11-17T16:25:00Z
Are you selling your seawych? We may be interested.

Emma