Phil L
2004-11-14T17:54:00Z
Any thoughts on the following:

I have been progressively improving various aspects of "Sunbeam" over the past 3 seasons (New-balanced-rudder, shorter tiller, keel overhaul, Hinged lazarette lids...). The next item on the list is the headsail. We currently have a Rotostay with a ~ 130 sq ft cross-cut genoa (no foam luff - hollow cut though). The rig is set up as taught as I dare (as per tuning guide) and yet there is always severe sagging (6") of the luff and spar under way. Things are OK until you have more than F4 and the sail draught goes further aft. The sagging increases as the wind pipes up and agrivates the "baggy knotted handkerchief" with a reefed sail. Even on the mooring with no sail in the foil, there are several inches of sag. I understand the need to maintain mainsheet tension (takes on the role of a backstay through the Main's leech) and play the traveller in puffs - still to no great effect.

I suspect the answers are to either:

1) Use a smaller R/R headsail in a blow and view it as a roller FURLING.

2) Convert back to Hanked sails - less weight & windage/cheap S/H sails, but not so convenient. My Wayfarer has essentially the same rig (but no RR) and has a perfect luff.

3) Add a backstay. Will this unduly stress the tapered mast section at the hounds and introduce excessive bend?

I have just tried stringing up my old Wayfarer's genoa (70 sq ft) "flying free" with no attachment to a forestay. It still sagged, but seemed much more effective to windward in F5/6 - 4.5 knots plus.

Does anyone have experience of the same boat performance when rigged with Hanks/forestay and then with Roller Reefing - or have tried a backstay mod - or have other solutions. I'd be very interested in your observations/conclusions and my young daughters might not keep asking "are we nearly there" as I put in yet another tack.

Phil Longhurst

S22/149

Phil Longhurst

2004-11-14T17:55:00Z
Hi Phil

Please can you tell me about your balanced rudder, is it fixed or lifting?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Millard