Gilliane Sills
2006-08-31T21:13:00Z
It's great that the Super Seal can take the ground - but we'd hoped that the lifting keel would also allow us to sail her in water shallower than her full draft of 1.68m allows, perhaps as little as 0.8m. However, this needs the rudder to be lifted part way up as well, and this makes steering very difficult and gives her too much weather helm to be manageable. Has anyone found a way round this problem?

Gilliane and Richard (Miss Fidget)

Gilliane Sills

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
Chris Turner
2006-09-03T07:45:00Z
Gilliane, I do know that one or two Christchurch members have made simple slide up and down plates to get them in and out of that shallow harbour.

But while we were at the Beaulieu 'do' for Parkers 25th we saw a clever version for shallow draft steering on Black Jack (SS no 4)

Paul had made a simple aluminium lifting plate that was bolted alongside the normal stock that could be lifted and lowered independently in the same manner as the main rudder. The draft was organised to be just below the propshaft, when swung down, to give full propwash control...though a little to one side. He demonstrated the efficiency of this, with his main rudder fully lifted, on the way out of the river. I did take the measurements but currently can't find them so if you manage to get them please pass them on!

Paul Morris is in the book.

Chris.

Chris Turner

DGleeson
2006-09-11T09:43:00Z
Hi,

Edgar Heenan took his Super Seal through the Grand Canal and Barrow Navigation in Ireland a number of years ago. The canals have a depth of 3 feet and less in some places. Edgar built a cut off rudder which he used successfully on this passage. If you would like more information I can contact Edgar for you.

Regards,

Donal Gleeson (An Rón).

Donal Gleeson

Gilliane Sills
2006-09-11T22:10:00Z
Hi Donal

Many thanks for the offer to contact Edgar Heenan about his rudder design - I'd be very grateful if you would. Following Chris' message about mods made by Black Jack's owner, I've sent an e-mail to Paul Morris asking whether he could let me have some details - but it would be good to hear about other solutions too.

Best wishes

Gilliane

Gilliane Sills

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
DGleeson
2006-09-28T08:57:00Z
Hi Gilliane,

Edgar calculated the amount of keel required to give good steerage with the minimum draft. He then made a cut off rudder to match the depth of the keel.

Regards,

Donal

Donal Gleeson