Nick Pulman
2009-07-28T14:58:26Z
After many hours of web browsing (and generally boring my long suffering wife with details of depth sounders and wind sensors) I have bought a couple of Garmin GMI 10 display instruments for my 235. I would appreciate any advice about the best place to mount them. My Parker was specified without any instruments. I have seen most 235's seem to have devices mounted on the L side of the cabin door. But I wondered if this isn't an area that is best kept free for sheets and stuff. Also the GMI 10s need 3" clearance behind the units and I am not sure there will be enough clearance behind in this area without cutting all the way through to the cabin. Anyone know how much clearance there is here or has anyone found a useful way of mounting either on the mast or on a seperate mounting pod say on the cabin roof, or on a pole the cockpit etc.
Also any tips for threading cables down the mast, and routing round to the switch panel. I am using NMEA 2000, and will use a M20P glan to get a cable through the deck.
Regards Nick[?]
ARRussell
2009-08-02T10:09:25Z
Nick,

My combined log/sounder is mounted on the bulkhead, port side, as standard. It protrudes inwards through the inner moulding, which is cut out around it. It doesn't catch on sheets or halyards.

Quite a lot has been said on this forum about swivelling brackets, which might also be worth considering. Some good photos have been posted. A swivelling bracket mounted on the inside of the bulkhead allows a display to be viewed from below or from the cockpit, and it can be tucked out of the way when not in use. I haven't got one, though, so I can't vouch for the idea personally.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Nick Pulman
2009-08-02T11:52:09Z
Anthony

Thanks for that. I have decided to go with convention and mount the displays on both port and starboard bulkheads. It is useful to know they don't get in the way.

Can you tell me how the cabling is sorted in the conventional mounting. Is it run down the inside bulkhead and across the wooden section to the switch panel, hidden behind the bulkhead lining or did they use a conduit etc?

Nick
ARRussell
2009-08-04T20:12:16Z
I have only the single unit on the port bulkhead and the cables for that run down behind the bulkhead lining to the switch panel. I'm not sure what you mean by "the wooden section" but bear in mind that Sea Wyche is as old as they come, so things might be different on newer models.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche