David Tilley
2009-08-10T22:25:16Z
I am very interested in purchasing a Super Seal and have happened upon an older (mid to early eighty's) boat that has had a competitive career in her earlier life but has been used in a more leisurely role for the last decade or two. She seems to have been cared for but not "modernised" and therefore looks a bit tired in appearance and I wonder (if it is not inappropriate to ask) if anyone could venture a value for such a boat. My finances are limited but the Super Seal certainly ticks all the boxes for me so I would dearly like to progress to "being a card carrying member" of the association if things fall into place.
Kind Regards,
David

David Tilley
David Tilley
Jon Foreman
2009-08-11T09:15:24Z
David,

Not really qualified to give you a value I’m afraid but I bought a fixed keel SS26 a couple of months ago, built in 1984 and I paid around £14,000 for it, I don’t know if that was a good price or not compared to other boats but I am more than happy with the purchase, as you say the Super Seal ticks all the boxes.

Mine has been well cared for and is in good condition for a boat of her age. She came with a basic inventory and some things have been modernised/updated, new-ish mast, standing rigging and sails (2004) but as with most boats there are still plenty of things I could spend money on.

I suppose the consideration is how much time and money you think you’ll spend on her? You should compare this with other boats as sometimes a more expensive boat in better condition can prove to be better value in the long run.

Hope this helps

Jon Foreman
Calypso
Jon Foreman
Calypso SS26, no.96
Richard Seaby
2009-08-11T20:40:11Z
FYI - I am about to put mine on the market for 15500. Mine is tidy with a engine with a complete overhaul and a reupholstered interior - I would say mine is in good condition. I dont know if that helps you at all!

Richard

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
David Tilley
2010-07-08T16:53:05Z
Jon
Thanks for taking the time to reply and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner but to be truthful my wife put the dampers on the project and I did not follow it up until just recently.
I have now purchased the boat in question but I notice Calipso is still advertised. I this the same boat that you bought?

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Foreman

David,

Not really qualified to give you a value I’m afraid but I bought a fixed keel SS26 a couple of months ago, built in 1984 and I paid around £14,000 for it, I don’t know if that was a good price or not compared to other boats but I am more than happy with the purchase, as you say the Super Seal ticks all the boxes.

Mine has been well cared for and is in good condition for a boat of her age. She came with a basic inventory and some things have been modernised/updated, new-ish mast, standing rigging and sails (2004) but as with most boats there are still plenty of things I could spend money on.

I suppose the consideration is how much time and money you think you’ll spend on her? You should compare this with other boats as sometimes a more expensive boat in better condition can prove to be better value in the long run.

Hope this helps

Jon Foreman
Calypso

David Tilley
David Tilley
Jon Foreman
2010-07-09T09:49:41Z
David,

No worries - hope you are happy with your purchase. Yes I did buy the 'Calypso' as advertised on this site.

Jon Foreman
Calypso SS26, no.96
Jon Foreman
Calypso SS26, no.96
David Tilley
2011-03-05T16:45:02Z
Hello again
Having retreated to the warmth of my study on yet another weekend when the frigid weather has forced a retreat from the loosely planned and ever expanding program of works, I have just noticed the date on my first missive and can only view the passage of time with disbelief!
A busy year with work and travel left little time to enjoy our SS26 after finally negotiating ownership and motoring down the Dart and along the coast to our mooring on the Exe with only one weekend to spare before we left for a motoring tour of Europe. I think we only managed 2 outings this summer before bringing her up to Exeter Quay "early" to start the much needed care and attention as "Team Spirit" had been ashore in Totnes for 2 years and her previous owner had not been able to do much because of health problems. Sadly, the winter also started "early" and I have been putting off most things, including joining the PSSA until now. That being now rectified, I expect this offering will be followed with a flood of questions as I begin work in earnest, if the weather ever breaks!

Kind regards
David Tilley

David Tilley
David Tilley
kate.hattersley
2011-03-06T23:42:02Z
Hi David
Team Spirit is well known on the Exe and used to belong to a member of Topsham Sailing Club who now has a fixed keel boat.
If you are near Topsham on a wednesday or a friday evening (when the bar is open) or in summer at high water when we are racing, do pop in. We have three SS26 Lucille, Antares and Pinnepedia as well as my 275 Beeline. You would be most welcome!
We could probably answer some of your questions too [:)]

Kate
Kate