geoff.sheddick
2010-05-07T21:30:56Z
My Parker 27 came with just a 10lb [4.5kg] genuine CQR as its bower anchor, so I need to replace it. I already have a Danforth Hi-Tensile anchor that will make a great kedge and sand anchor.

The original Seal 26 handbook makes no mention of bower anchor size, but does suggest 19.5lb [9kg] for the kedge! But then that was written before today's modern designs were even thought of.

Conventional thinking would appear to suggest 25lb [12kg] - on the other hand, the P27 is a relatively light displacement boat, so I wonder if this is overkill? What do other owners have to say?
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Chris Turner
2010-05-08T08:09:40Z
Geoff, I have a 12kg genuine CQR which came with the boat (26) when I bought it from Parkers in 1982. I had about 6m of 10mm chain then warp. The old system never dragged though occasionally I did use a 5kg lead 'angel' to restrict swinging. I anchor often.
Last year I thought I might make life easier and bought a 9kg CQR (not genuine). It dragged badly in brisk winds. It might be ok with all chain.
Needless to say I had my old anchor shot blasted and regalvanised.
I have a 5kg Bruce as a kedge. Amazingly good in light weather.
Hope this helps.
Chris.
geoff.sheddick
2010-05-08T10:38:36Z
In weighing up [no pun intended...] your very helpful feedback, Chris, I guess that I will need to factor in the fact that your rode is virtually all warp, with just a very short length of chain [presumably to counter bottom chafe?], whereas my P27 comes with 30m of chain + 20m warp. On the other hand I do already have a 10m chain + 50m warp rode that I could use instead...
What depth multiplier do you use in deciding how much rode to veer with and without your 'angel'?
Geoff

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Chris Turner
2010-05-08T12:32:53Z
Geoff, I rarely anchor in more than 10m and would use both my 5kg 'angels' at that sort of depth for an overnight stop (lowered to the warp/chain junction). Total ca.3x to 4x depth .... depending on conditions.
Most of my anchoring is in shallow water (depending on the tidal range) 5-8m or so. In which case I would put out about 4x the depth in brisk winds(maybe only 3x with 'angels')or if I needed to restrict swinging. In very shallow to drying water, never less than 15m altogether.
I have a feeling that the 'serious' anchoring pundits will tell you that you need a lot more ... but this tends to refer to much heavier boats and in deeper water.
None of this refers of course to survival conditions on an exposed lee shore. You need enough chain to lower your waterline significantly to cope with a storm!

But for 'normal' purposes the 'angels' make such a difference .. keeping the short heavy chain almost horizontal for much of the time.

They are also useful to take up the slack of the long lines needed to allow for tidal fall when drying alongside quay walls etc.

I made them from bits of scrap lead melted in an old aluminium saucepan on the barbecue .. plunging a spike down the middle just before cooling to make a hole for securing a warp.

Chris.
geoff.sheddick
2010-05-08T12:54:30Z
Chris - that's really useful info, and I also like the tip about using 'angels' on long mooring lines in areas of high tidal range.
Thanks very much,
Geoff
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'