Candanski
2010-10-31T12:21:37Z
The plastic cap of one of my stanchions, through which ran the higher safety rail/cable, has sheared leaving the cable sagging and dangerous. Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase these "caps".
Cheers
David
Seal 28
Mike Edwards
2010-11-20T08:13:52Z
Hello again
I had the same happen to me this year, I was pushing Aztec away from the jetty to drop a fender down the gap and I nearly fell into the boat as the stanchion cap gave way.
I made a replacement with 2 small flat pieces of good hard wood (oak) and hot glued them together. I then shaped this into a round shape to fit the stanchion tube and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in line with the glue joint suitable for the guard wire to pass through.
Heat the wood and the glue melts, clean up the surfaces and then use epoxy glue to glue and clamp the 2 halves together again this time around the guard wire.
Paint to suit and epoxy into the stanchion.
It looks slightly different to the rest of the caps (because I did not want to weaken it too much by tapering the top) but it seems pretty strong and it is really only there to "hold" the guard wire at the correct height.
P.S. make sure you align the grain in the best way for strength.

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Candanski
2010-11-20T18:21:36Z
Cheers Mike, I was beginning to realise it would have to be a DIY job, That sounds like a sound repair. I will give it a go next dry weekend.
Thanks

David