Pat Morgan
2012-01-14T17:57:07Z
My boat came equipped with a Genuine CQR, 25lb. So far this has not let us down. However it's the only thing on the boat which was designed before 1940, so I think I would be safer at anchor using one of the new generation anchors. The problem is that the anchor locker is not very deep, so it may be difficult to fit a different anchor in. I have found that a Rocna 10kg anchor fits in the locker, but I think it's too small for the boat. Has anybody tried one of the modern anchors in the P31 anchor locker?
tedsansom
2012-01-21T19:02:39Z
I use a Kobra on Ruby, mainly on the strength of an article approx 2-3 years ago (PBO?) which showed it to have good holding power for the weight, but more importantly it had extremely good resetting (e.g. when the tide turns whilst anchoring in a river) due to its weighted tip.
I chose the Kobra 1 as it has a simple folding mechanism which makes it easier to stow. The Kobra 2 is a bit stronger, but does not have the folding mechanism.
I think it is either 12Kg or 14Kg, but am not totally sure. I can measure it for you if you are interested. It fits OK in the Parker 31 locker with 20m chain and 50m line.

Ted Sansom (P31/18)
Ted Sansom (P31/18)
tedsansom
2012-02-06T21:33:59Z
I confirm it is a 12 Kg Kobra. Plenty of room to spare in the locker.

Ted Sansom (P31/18)
Ted Sansom (P31/18)
Pat Morgan
2012-03-03T19:40:36Z
I bought a 14kg Kobra 2 (before Ted's last post) and it fits in the locker. You have to push the rope right to the front, put the anchor in and then put the chain in. I have not used it yet, but will report back as to whether it's a pain to get in and out of the locker and its effectiveness as an anchor.
Pat Morgan
2013-05-23T22:33:25Z
An update after a season of use: The anchor fits in the locker OK if I push the rope to the front and the chain to the left. It has worked well after being used lots of times last season and 3 times so far this year. The only problem I have had is on the first use the anchor connector jammed at right angles to the stock of the anchor. This was caused by having an elongated hole in the stock (the only reason would seem to be to put a shackle through, but everyone uses connectors). Last year I put a string lashing through the extra part of the hole. This year I have made up a little gadget which blocks the extra part of the hole: (If I find how to insert an image I will put one here)