Herman Speckmann
2007-03-14T18:58:22Z
I need to replace my propellor shaft (it's bended) and also the water lubricated rubber seal.
How can I replace the seal, can I just pull it out of the propellor shaft tube and do I need a special device to do so?

regards, Herman Speckmann
Delizia, Parker 31/nr30
2007-03-19T17:38:29Z
Hi Herman
To replace the prop shaft, is a reasonably simply task,once you have disconnected the shaft from the gearbox coupling and removed the inboard stern tube seal(not sure what type you have),if its the deep sea seal, then its two jubilee clips,if you have the instructions on this, it will give you the dimensions, when you refit it,if not,you will need to make a note of the position of the seal, on the stern tube and prop shaft and mark them on both before you remove it.You can then pull the shaft out.To remove the cutless bearing I have used on several occasions wooden broom handle, cut off square, and slid this down the tube from the inside and knocked it out with a hammer,I have also used a short length of iron pipe,again,from the inside,remember the bearing should be held in place by two grub screws,on the end of stern tube,which you will, obviously need to remove first.If all else fails, you can cut the bearing out with a hacksaw blade,by making several slots through the bearing, and collapsing it in on itself, you can then pick the bits out,its a tedious job this way, and you must be careful not cut into the stern tube,butI and many others have managed to do it this way.
Good Luck!

Regards, Keith Bellingham
Many Moons P31/11.