GeoffTurner
2012-03-07T10:40:04Z
I've had a query from a prospective 325 owner:

quote:
I'm looking at buying one but it clearly has a problem with leaking around the chain plates. The owner says it ... requires the mast to be taken down and the chain plates removed and resealed ever couple of years

Any comments?

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn

chris nichols
2012-03-07T17:43:37Z
On my 27 any leaks at chain plate came from the deck through failed silicone seals around the chain plate where it enters the boat. The cover plates are easily removed and the original sealant removed, then replaced with exterior clear silicone sealant and the cover plates replaced. Plenty of masking tape is needed to stop sealant migration!

ChrisN

Stuart Tucker
2012-03-08T14:57:16Z
Geoff,

Both do, very, very minorly. Actually, I don't know many boats that don't leak there after a while. Depends how much proper sailing you do, how hard pressed and in what weather you do it in!

When I get round to doing the next major rigging refurb, where the mast will come down, I do intend pulling out the plates, scraping out the old gunk and properly resealing with sikaflex. As said, its a relatively simple task.

But, over the last few years, to keep Pegasus going, I have at the begining of each season simply chisseled out last years old Sikaflex beed and carefully run a new beed using some masking tape. 100% successful, only takes 20 mins.

Hope this helps! Could you advise who the new buyer is, if there is any other information he/she needs, perhaps they can write direct to us? Are they going to join the Association?

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37

Doug Rivers
2012-04-22T13:20:46Z
Following my initial question re leaking chain plates I've now bought the boat and thought it would be useful if I provided an update. The chain plates were removed as the Surveyor was concerned that they were deformed. In fact, it was just poor fabrication as they had not been welded at 90 degrees, therefore leaving a gap requiring regular re-sealing. They are being re welded and hopefully the problem will be minimised. At the same time we've added an extra piece to ensure the strain from the lowers is being spread correctly.
Stuart Tucker
2012-04-23T15:11:36Z
Welcome Doug,

Could you send some photos or a sketch? Would be most grateful.

Also, for our interest, please could you let us know which boat you bought?

Thanks,

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37

Doug Rivers
2012-04-24T14:55:27Z
Titan, number 25. The boat is currently based in Falmouth but I will be sailing her back to Essex (Benfleet Yacht Club)sometime in June. I haven't seen the fix yet but will post photo's when I have them. I also had a small problem with electrolysis on the stainless steel keel caused by stray current in the Marina, just a bit of welding to fix but a caution all the same. I have the details to join the association and will get round to it asap.
Stuart Tucker
2012-04-24T21:33:17Z
Thanks Doug,

Looking forward to seeing those.

Stuart

325/37

Mike Lockwood
2012-05-08T19:28:42Z
Doug,

Doug,

Lucky Devil had keel corrosion. The sacrificial ring anode on the ram shaft had been eaten completely. It is very important to remove the ram and replace the anode, probably once a year. A horrible job - written up in the archives.

I attached a coiled cable to the top of the keel and ran it to a through bolt in the keel hatch cover, to which I connect an over-the-side anode (old hull anodes, etc.) when not sailing. When in place, there is a 0.5V potential between the bolt and the connection to the over-the-side anode (not in a marina). The cause of the corrosion is thus not only stray currents in the marina but the keel construction acting as a battery.

Good luck!

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Mike Lockwood

Lucky Devil

Parker 325/35

Stuart Tucker
2012-05-09T14:26:14Z
Doug,

37 sits on a mud pontoon berth. Inspite of the silty water, we have found that the Anode needs changing every other season. This is when we fully extract and service the Ram.

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37

Doug Rivers
2012-05-17T11:57:26Z
Ouch, changing the anode sounds too difficult for me! However thanks for the info, I'll get a yard to complete at the end of the season following the instructions on the site.