rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-04-21T21:54:49Z
My Clipper cockpit GPS repeater and to a lesser extent my Raymarine echo-sounder/log are suffering from internal condensation which is making the displays difficult to read.

Have any of you SeaDogs been troubled by the same issue? If so, has anyone come up with a quick fix to solve the problem?

Careful application of a hair-dryer was the first idea which occurred to me but I'm wary of distorting the plastic facia of the instruments.

Richard White
Seal 28/66 Minimosh
Mike Edwards
2013-04-22T09:02:12Z
I have not been bothered by this problem but if I was, on the assumption that cold air contains less moisture than warm air, I would take the case apart and leave in a cold dry place over winter for a few days and then reassemble whilst it is still cold. Maybe consider putting some silica gel crystals in the case as well.
Mike

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-04-22T16:54:21Z
Thanks Mike - I'm not sure it will be possible to get into the Clipper GPS repeater without being destructive but I'll take a look and try the silica gel idea. I've thrown out load of those little bags over the years and now that I want one ...
Andrew D
2013-04-22T17:14:14Z
Most instruments seem to have this early in the season, I certainly always have had this with Raymarine instruments.
One trick is to turn on the lighting in the instrument and the warmth of the bulb can drive out the condensation. I would not advise opening what is usually a sealed unit.
It usually always goes away with me.
Mike Edwards
2013-04-22T17:15:36Z
Hi Richard
Are these units mounted outside with the backs exposed to the elements or are they bulkhead mounted with the backs in the cabin.

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-05-04T10:55:10Z
Mike: instruments are mounted to the bulkhead between the cockpit and the saloon on the port-side. They appear to be masked by a custom-built wooden box within the saloon.

Andrew's observation that the condensation disappears in time appear to be accurate; most of the mist is now gone, perhaps down to warmth of the internal light. Because I'm wary of breaking the instrument seals I'm going to hold off on the silica-gel and march on to overdue winch maintenance ...

Thanks to all.

Richard
Seal 28/66 Minimosh