rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-05-04T11:01:58Z
My Seal 28 is fitted with Lewmar 30 self-tailing 2-speed winches, one of which has become extremely stiff. I'd therefore like to overhaul it but am having difficulty finding documents or videos describing the procedure on the Internet. There's plenty on later Lewmar models but nothing specific to my winches.

Please can anyone offer a reference to some useful documentation? I don't know how to get started because there are no obvious screws or clips to allow me to get into the winch.

Richard
Mike Edwards
2013-05-04T11:17:50Z
Hi Richard
Sorry I can't help you with any information, but can I sugest you post this in the "Other technical issues" http://www.parkerseal.org.uk/bbs/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13  as this request is not limited to a Seal 28 you may get more replies.

Thanks
Mike

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
philip linsell
2013-05-04T14:35:23Z
Richard
I just looked on the Lewmar website, under winches, product information, gives service brochure that seems to cover all types.
Give it a try.
Philip
rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-05-05T00:11:27Z
Philip,

http://www.lewmar.com/as...anual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf 

Sadly, page 21 which supposedly deals with the Lewmar 30 doesn't match my winch in that there's no top ring to allow removal of the self-tailing gear so I'm still none the wiser as to how to get started!

Mike: I'll do as you suggest and broaden the scope of my enquiry.

Thanks both for your input.

Richard

rcw
  • rcw
  • Member Topic Starter
2013-05-07T16:40:46Z
I contacted Lewmar in Havant (023 92471841). It appears that the self-tailing Lewmar 30 fitted to my Seal has a single-piece top which should unscrew.

Recommendation is to insert a wooden lever in the self-tailer and to unscrew the head, possibly with the aid of a hammer. I understand there's some risk that the self-tailer will fracture in the process :-(

The chap from Lewmar was very helpful and says he'll email me the PDF of the schematic of this winch and also put it on-line.

Thanks to all,

Richard
Minimosh 28/66