June T
2007-04-25T19:44:41Z
Thinking about taking the plunge with something bigger, maybe a 27 or 275 (see previous posting).

However, I’m not sure I like the mainsheet system on the 275, through the jamming cleat into the cockpit. I gather people get used to it but it rings warning bells if one sails with different people, some less experienced than others. Having the jib flapping around is one thing, but not having control of the mainsail is a bit more tricky….

So, has anyone come up with a good modification? Like a fixing of some sort in the cockpit, or putting a track across in the traditional way? Are there any problems that anyone can see with that?

Thanks again,

June

June T

Sealena 22/213
Don Harvey
2007-04-27T17:02:29Z
June

On the occasions when you don't want to jam the mainsheet, but want to have control of the main, the option is to take a couple of turns around the winch on the cabin roof and hold on to the mainsheet. This will take the strain off your arm - but to allow for a quick release. It is the method I and others used.

What you don't want, on a bigger boat, is to be holding onto the mainsheet, as you would, say, on a dinghy. Even with multi-purchase blocks you would find it a strain.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
kate.hattersley
2007-05-03T13:42:06Z
On my fabulous racing machine (P275 No 21 Beeline) we have the main sheet block on a traveller track at the forward end of the cockpit by the companionway that can be adjusted during races. The track allows the mainsheet block to slide down to leeward or be hauled up to windward. The 4:1 purchase on the sheet means I can hold the sheet and play it like a dinghy or give it to my main trimmer to haul and dump as needed. When in cruising mode we slide the fitting to one end of the track so that it stays out of the way of passing crew and allows the tea tray to pass freely! I hate the main sheet arrangement where it is another line on the cockpit roof as you can't tweak it properly.

Kate
Kate
Tim Reeder
2007-05-06T10:31:26Z
Hi

I have had a simple answer to this since I have had Speedwell. A simple jamming cleat wasx installed on the edge of the cabin roof in line with the main sheet clutch. This means that I simply jam the main sheet off much like in a dinghy and can flick it out when necessary. When On the wind though I tend to play the main with the travellr control, which is easily accessible from the helmm ing position on the side deck.

This avoids having to remove / change the existing traveller, which I think is a major advantage keeping all the nasty ropes and things out of the cockpit!

Cheers

Tim
June T
2007-05-10T23:03:03Z
Thanks for the comments. Looks as though there are various options. I’m interested in the set-ups in the cockpit that John and Kate both talk about – were they fitted from new or did you have them altered yourselves? If so, who designed the changes? And do you have any photos?

And, crucially, do you agree with Don that the mainsheet is too much of a strain, especially for those of us with less than Olympian strength?!

Tim’s jamming cleats sound like a simpler option, but possibly not quite so user friendly? I’m not sure that I wouldn’t feel a bit lost without some of those nasty ropes in the cockpit!

June

June T

Sealena 22/213
Ken Surplice
2007-05-12T09:09:50Z
Hello June,
I would not worry about having the mainsheet on a jammer. We originally sailed a P21 and I was used to holding a sheet in hand. On our P275 we have sailed with young children without problems. When a gust arrives, the boat has usually returned to a comfortable sailing angle in moments, and without fuss. On the very few occasions when I have felt the need to ease things off, I just flick the traveller rope and release it. That takes the pressure off nicely and the crew don't mutiny.
Happy Sailing - Ken

Ken Surplice
Vice Commodore
Ken