GeoffTurner
2015-04-10T09:26:03Z
I've received this message from Robert Lott:

Quote:

Hello Superseal owners I have just purchased a Superseal yacht here in Australia which was sailed or shipped out here. The mast broke with the previous owner and lies on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

I am trying to source information on a replacement mast but can find no other Superseal here in Australia. Can anyone help me with the length of the mast the degree of the swept back spreaders or any other info regarding the mast would be appreciated .

I am really looking forward to sailing this vessel after reading the reports on its performance .

Regards

Robert

Can anyone help?

Marvin Kowalewski
2015-04-10T16:35:39Z
Hi Robert.....

I lost my mast and had a new one built by USPARS here in the USA. It turns out that the are part of Z-Spars which made the original mast.

Here is the site>

http://www.zsparsuk.com/ 

Marv

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
PeterL
2015-04-10T17:24:23Z
Hi Robert,

The original masts on Baker built Seals were made by Proctor which has become part of Selden.Those on later boats built by Parker were supplied by Z Spars as advised by Marvin.

The comprehensive manual for the 26/27 advises that the mast was a type Z 270 (136 x 86mm) at 10.135M (33'3'') long [7/8 rig with top taper] and the boom a Z160.In fact the Z270 is no longer produced in Europe,the nearest being the Z 265 ( actually 143 x96mm).

The web pages for Z Diffusion (the French arm of Z Spars) give a great deal more data on the section properties.

Your local mast makers will no doubt be able to match the section.

It's worth contacting the Regalia/Manuals (under 'About the PSSA') secretary Di Drew to buy the excellent technical manual for the 26/27.It has lots of basic data and tips concerning the rigging,sails,other stuff.

Peter

P.S. Geoff - I will volunteer to scan the manual and provide a pdf to Di Drew if it is useful for this kind of distant enquiry.

Chris Turner
2015-04-11T06:50:03Z
I had to replace my mast in 2005. It had a crack in it after over 20 years of hard sailing! I went to the suggested ZSpars. I have attached a doc file of their original suggested dimensions and the variations I made and sent to them for final make-up. Hope this helps. Chris Turner SS #103 'Elsa'
GeoffTurner
2015-04-14T07:46:26Z
I've removed the Z Spars document as it's copyrighted - last year they asked me to remove a similar one for the 21.

But if anyone would like a copy, please contact me. And I'll make sure it's added to the technical manual.

Martin Gray
2015-04-17T16:48:23Z
Hello Robert,

I am having a new mast and boom fitted to my Parker 27, supplied by Z Spars of Suffolk.

The mast section is Z265 and the boom Z202. this is a single spreader rig with a tapered top mast. The new mast base will not match your existing mast step on the deck and so this will need to be replaced. On my old mast the turning blocks for halyards at the base of the mast were integral to the mast. The new mast has external blocks fitted to the base with the halyards existing the above deck level. Z spars are also able to supply a spring loaded solid vang.

regards

Martin