1.Genica alone - experiences please

2.Using a furler with DIY fitting

Thanks

hugh roberts
2007-05-23T06:38:23Z
Sorry, should be Gennaker...
kate.hattersley
2007-05-28T20:56:00Z
I have a cruising chute on my Parker 275 which fits your description. It is made of spinnaker material and has a luff that can be tensioned down at deck level and an assymetric shape that behaves like a genoa when close reaching. Downwind it is not as good as my spinnaker even when poled out or goosewinged and means you would choose to gybe at a broad reaching angle downwind to avoid a dead run when it is a bit useless. On balance I prefer the symmetric spinnaker.

Kate

Kate
Gilliane Sills
2007-09-20T10:30:30Z
We have a gennaker on Miss Fidget, which we've now flown three times in light winds - so we're not experts! However, we've found it a splendid sail for a reach, especially close and beam reaches, when it pulls much better than the genoa. We have the tack close to the deck on a close reach, and quite a bit higher on a broad reach. Like Kate, we find it doesn't pull well when the wind is aft of a broad reach, as the main blankets it very easily so that it collapses. Even without the main up, it didn't fill consistently, but that may have been partly because the wind was *very* light and flukey on that occasion. We haven't yet tried to gybe it - we're working up to that, as it seems complicated because the attachment for the tack is aft of the forestay. We've found that we can get it down either by releasing the tack first, then the halyard and pulling it aft and straight down into the cabin using the sheet, or by partly unfurling the genoa to blanket the gennaker so that it collapses, and then releasing the halyard, and pulling in on the sheet. Other people with more experience may well be able to provide a stronger recommendation for how to manage this. We don't have a spinnaker for comparison.

Gilliane

Miss Fidget, Super Seal 26, no. 69

Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41