Dmitry
2018-01-02T14:48:42Z
Hello and Happy New Year!

Need your expertise and advise regarding Seal 28 spray hood fittings.

I got with my Seal a spray hood as on the pictured and about 5 stainless steel bended support pipes.
Also on the hull there are already moulded in the hull spray hood attachment points (pivot) with the screws.

I don't have manufacturers details and not sure if this was the original Seal option.

Please kindly advise how the stainless steel pipes are fixed to the hull? Are there supposed to be any metal disk or similar part to which the steel pipes attached and than fixed to the hull? Is it possible to get anywhere drawing /dimension of this part?

img1.jpg

Click to View Image60 View(s)

img2.jpg

Click to View Image57 View(s)

Many thanks in advance,
Dmitry

"Mera"
Seal 28
Seal 28 "Mera"
Hull 67 / Mk.2
Mike Edwards
2018-01-02T16:32:37Z
Hello Dmitry
I no longer have my Seal 28 and have no photos left, but I will try to describe how the spray hood on Aztec was fitted.
The spray hood was supported by 2 hoops of stainless steel. (they were originally aluminium but I had new stronger and larger ones made)
The larger hoop had fittings on the ends suitable to fix to the 2 raised attachment points with the screws as in your first photo.
The smaller hoop fitted to the larger hoop about 15 to 20 cm from the base of the larger hoop.
Before fitting the small hoop to the larger hoop you must first feed each through the corresponding channel/pocket sewn into the spray hood. (unless you have a pocket which is fastened with a zipper or Velcro. See below assembly.
There was a small aluminium channel which was attached to the coach roof and ran around the curved front of the cockpit combing. There was a rope sewn into the bottom front edge of the spray hood which was slid through this aluminium channel, a bit like a sail guide on the mast or boom.

Assembly
As far as I can remember the order of assembly was; fit the spray hood into the aluminium channel, then fit the smaller tube into the top front pocket which runs across the top of the spray hood just above the windows, and then finally the larger tube was fitted into the pocket at the rear of the spray hood.
I hope this helps.
Mike
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Dmitry
2018-01-02T22:16:58Z
Holes-Mera1.jpg

Click to View Image47 View(s)

Thank you Mike for the prompt and informative reply.

All make sense now.

Most probably the largest stainless steel hoop is need to be attached to the hull and
the rest smaller hoops are attached to the large one by slide or open slide clamps
which I am missing.
Will get some clamps to try different combinations.

Meantime, another question, if you are able to clarify: on both sides of the boat I have
the holes (marked with the arrow on the photo). Is this is standard for Seals 28 and what
is their purpose?

Many thanks and best regards,

Dmitry

Seal 28 "Mera" (Hull 67 / MK2)

Seal 28 "Mera"
Hull 67 / Mk.2
Mike Edwards
2018-01-02T23:07:35Z
Hi
The yellow arrow is pointing to the main hatch garage drain hole. It is a plastic pipe, about a 25mm diameter, which is glassed into the hatch garage or recess where the hatch slides into, and glassed into the outside of the coach roof.
It is common for the plastic pipe to suffer from sunlight degradation and crumble away. If this happens then rain water and sea spray will leak into the cabin head lining cavity, and from there dribble down through the fixings and into the side lockers.
One simple solution is to seal up the crack around the hatch garage with Sikaflex 291 marine sealant , see attached photo, I have highlighted the crack to be sealed in green. The sealant can always be cut away in the future should the hatch garage cover need to be removed.
But a better solution would be to fit a new pipe and glass it into the garage moulding and into the coach roof. (not an easy job, which I never tackled, you would probably have to cut an access into the head lining)
seal28 hatch garage.jpg

Click to View Image50 View(s)

Mike
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Dmitry
2018-01-03T00:25:48Z
Thanks a lot Mike!
Seal 28 "Mera"
Hull 67 / Mk.2