philip linsell
2018-06-11T14:02:33Z
Help.
I have broken the keel on rascal, my 26 and lost most if it.
Has anyone anything they can assist with, like;
Do you know of a mould for the keel?
A spare keel I could borrow for a pattern?
A 26 not in use and not in the water where I could borrow the keel for a pattern?
Anything else?
Thanks
Philip Linsell
rascal 26
jalbery
2018-06-11T21:49:31Z
Hi Philip

http://www.parkerseal.or....aspx?g=posts&t=2030  and I've finally (about a month ago) taken delivery of the new keel.

I didn't manage to track down the original patterns and so I had to have new patterns made. Fortunately my insurance have picked up the bill for making the patterns as well as casting the new one. Once I get the boat in the water, I'll write it all up for the newsletter.

I'm not sure this helps you as I understand that the Parker 26 keel is very different to the P275 keel but PM me if you want any more info.

James
Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1
Graham Ellison
2018-06-22T12:46:41Z
What a rotten thing to happen Philip. My keel's got a bit of water ingress into it and I'll probably get Hayling Yacht Co. to dry it out and relaminate it, but your predicament caused me to wonder what the costs would be of getting a mould made so that any of us in the same predicament in future might be able to avail ourselves of it. I'm guessing there must be an existing mould somewhere, but heaven alone knows where it is or whether it's in a usable condition.

I approached Composite Mouldings  in Hampshire (I'm sure there are others) who seem to do this sort of thing, and they are quoting £1200 to make the mould, with about £600 to make a foam-filled moulding from it thereafter. Clearly that's an appalling amount of money, but in view of the potential usefulness of the mould should anyone else find it necessary in the future, I wonder if any Super Seal owners might be prepared to chip in a donation to at least have the mould made?

Can we muster twelve of us at £100 each, or indeed could the PSSA be persuaded to sign up for one or more shares? Hon Treasurer?
Hilary Martin
2018-06-22T14:31:13Z
To bring the story up to date before the thread continues - Rascal was hauled out at Yarmouth and is now awaiting a new keel being made at Advanced Marine Structures at Sandown Airport using LESA's keel (with 40 years worth of Seal antics being smoothed off!) to make the mould. So there should be a mould for future SS26 calamities available - probably an excellent foil with its aviation connection. AMS is owned by the Downer family who have a huge knowledge of boatbuilding - excellent racing sailors themselves (Etchells etc). They are Bembridge SC and Royal Victoria YC members.

I will leave it up to Philip to elaborate further.

Hilary
Super Seal 26
LESA

Hilary Martin
SS26 LESA 33
philip linsell
2018-06-22T18:37:45Z
Many thanks to Hilary for the update and all her help with my problems.
I will talk to AMS about the future for their, my, my insurer's mould.
In any event we should have access to a mould in future.
Philip Linsell
rascal