Rob Pierce
2020-01-17T12:24:00Z
Again as a "newby" I'm seeking advice on setting up my Parker 21 WAVE No 98

I am replacing the old Plastimo Furler which came with the boat and am going to fit a Furlex 50S. The Plastimo has the benefit of being able to fit a rigging screw within the furler body, a feature which is not available on the Furlex 50S however I prefer the more robust construction of the Furlex which has metal bearings rather than the plastic of the Plastimo unit.

In fitting the new furler I will have to cut the new Forestay to the correct length which once cut is a fixed length. The obvious thing is to make it the same length as the old unit but this may not have given the ideal mast rake - if any.

I would appreciate some feedback on the ideal mast rake, should it be perfectly square or should there be some rake aft?

Regards

Rob Pierce

Mcwally
2020-01-17T16:29:19Z
Sorry Rob,

I haven't enough experience to advise, but will be interested to hear how you get on.

Steve (21/71)

2020-01-18T16:59:49Z
My Parker handbook suggests that for the mast, aft rake, . - ‘there should be a slight aft rake, from the tip of approximately 127 to 152 mm’ (using a weight on the main halyard or topping lift of to measure the distance away from the mast at the base)

Copy of handbook from PSSA or a cd from Phill should contain this and more useful data too.

Using this setting and following the rest of the mast rigging and tensioning set up, with an older furlex seems to give the right amount of weather helm for me.

Hope this is a useful starting point with the new furler (Selden agents Allspars at Queen Anne’s Battery Plymouth are really helpful)

P21 Amy

Rob Pierce
2020-01-20T16:59:48Z
Thanks, that is very helpful. When I return from my short holiday I will certainly buy handbook.

Regards

Rob Pierce WAVE 98