rme877
2021-08-17T18:33:06Z
My wife and I have just bought a Parker 21 (today!) The surveyor said he could not find a bilge pump. Should it have one?

I am sure that we will have many more questions once we get the boat to Keyhaven. My wife has sailed nearly all her life (She is 73) but I am a mere novice and the test sail earlier in the week was the first time I had been on such a boat. We have and race a Lymington River Scow so I suppose I am not a complete novice.

We hope, therefore, to meet some of you at the rally in Keyhaven at the end of September.

BillPeach
2021-08-18T09:07:29Z
Hi

Glad to see you are interested in the Keyhaven rally

If you are attending, could yo please enrol so we know who is attending

on the web site, logon, goto to calendar then keyhaven rally and click enrol

Thanks

Bill Peach

Bill Peach

'Kalandia' Parker 325

Moored: Lymington River

Martin Watson
2021-08-18T09:55:07Z
As it is a trailer sailor, it is not normally necessary to have an automatic electric bilge pump, since that is normally there to protect the boat from leaking stern drives etc slowly filling up the boat, not something that is usually an issue with a boat on a trailer (although rainwater ingress on the hard can still cause issues, especially some of the tropical downpours that are becoming increasingly common) What definitely should be fitted is a manual bilge pump fitted somewhere in the cockpit, easily to hand for the helmsman.
Martin Watson
GeoffTurner
2021-08-18T11:32:10Z
My early 21 has a manual bilge pump in the port cockpit locker with the inlet pipe under the cabin floor and outlet through the side of the hull. I've never used it! If I did get a lot of water inside, I think a bucket would be more effective.
rme877
2021-08-20T21:15:23Z
The surveyor obviously found the pump and even shows a photo on his report. Thanks for all your comments.
philip linsell
2021-08-21T08:07:48Z
Regarding bilge pumps.

Check them!

I intended to for many years and didn't, when I needed it; it didn't work.

Yes the bucket did work, but not as easy and made a right mess.

Philip Linsell

rascal, 26