PeterDann
2022-10-17T13:29:09Z
Sorry, more advice needed please!

En route to the very enjoyable (thank you Hilary) RVYC rally a few weeks ago I overnighted in Newtown. Unusually for me I got there in time to pick up a buoy and was so chuffed that I opened the beer without a further thought. An hour later and my world was less horizontal and not due to the beer - the buoy in question was very shallow and we were aground in soft mud. As I pushed the keel up button I was reminded that someone told me the suction force on the wing was around a tonne - totally believable as the boat sank for a good few seconds before bouncing up again as the keel came free of the mud. Hurrah, very entertaining.

Less entertaining when I went to raise the keel this weekend. A higher pitch than usual whine from the motor then a small judder as the keel begins to move: both new and slightly worrying.

Has anyone had similar experiences, either with grounding with keel down or developing a stickiness? I had assumed that going aground gently would simply push the hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir in a reverse process of what happens when you forget to put the pin in with the keel up, but I have not been brave enough to try deliberately.

Any advice, especially on what might be causing the sticking, very gratefully received as I am prepared to bet like most boat things it will only get worse...

Thanks all

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Mike Baldwin
2022-10-17T20:17:51Z
Sorry to hear Pete of your troubles. When overnighting, I have grounded a few times at Folly Inn and Newtown with the keel down. Although perhaps only a few centimeters before I realised. I just pushed the up button with no ill effects. I remember hearing a story about Martin Hopton forgetting to lift the keel up once, supposedly supporting the entire weight of the boat on the hydraulics.

I can't understand why your experience might cause your keel motor problem. Perhaps it is something else.

johniow
2022-10-26T20:33:32Z
We've all done it Peter. I was at Redclyffe Yacht Club near Wareham and forgot to raise the keel, and returned to find Nosey a little out of the water. The main problem was stressing the hydraulics hose connectors, which then began to weep. The solution was to disconnect the joints and put PFTE tape on the threads- yes, as recommended by my local hydraulics engineer.

I have thought of leaving the keel on manual release, which lets it drop as load comes off it - has anyone tried this, and does the keel gently rise as it takes the ground?

As far as diagnosis and treatment goes, it will probably involve some expense. I'd suggest having the boat lifted on a hoist and seeing and hearing what actually happens when you raise and lower the keel. I'm assuming you've taken the cover off and peered down the slot to see if anything looks wrong. From then on ...

Hope to see you at Lymington. John

Nosey - Parker 325-26
johniow
2022-10-26T22:28:19Z
At the risk of "suck eggs"etc have you taken the lid off the motor/hydraulic reservoir compartment? Any fluid in the bottom? Reservoir full? Does the motor labour when raising the keel?
Nosey - Parker 325-26
PeterDann
2022-10-28T15:11:13Z
Thanks for the advice and sympathy John. So far no obvious sign of additional fluid in the lube locker - I say additional because I have a habit of getting reservoir topping up wrong. And I'm afraid I am coming to the same conclusion as you - boat out of water, torch up keel box, wallet at the ready... To be honest with my hauling out date later this month I haven't bothered peering down from the top yet simply because I have never yet managed to see anything past the top of the keel, but if I get a moment I will have a go.

Yes, see you in Lymington. By train this year, sorry to say.

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32