Denis
  • Denis
  • Member Topic Starter
2024-01-20T16:06:21Z
I am planning to lift the keel out of my Parker 235 (Morvoren, No 45) to power clean it, remove rust and apply 4 coats of International Interprotect (a two part epoxy primer), followed by 3 coats of International Micron 350 antifouling (two year fouling protection).

I plan to fit new certified lifting eyes before the lift out and to replace the two Barton pulley blocks and lifting rope once the keel is back in the box,

I would be grateful for any advice or information you may have on the following areas:

The fibreglass panels on the middle part of the keel - I am wondering how these are secured in position. I have seen references to pop rivets and I am wondering if anyone has replaced these and can provide details on the rivet diameter and length. I presume the originals were Monel ?

The 6 M8 bolts securing the top sliders - I am wondering about the length and specification of these bolts in case I find they are corroded and need to be replaced

The bottom and top keel roller bearings: From the drawing in the owners handbook these look like Nylon rollers with plain/ sleeve bearings?

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Denis

P235/45 “Morvoren"

John Edwards
2024-01-29T09:20:07Z
Hi Denis, can’t really help I am afraid.

The boatyard lift mine each year for a couple of hours so that I can drop the keel, clean and apply antifoul. The downside of course is that it has to be done on a cold, miserable day in Feb when nobody in the right mind would need to use the hoist!

The process is not overdemanding in that, depending on tides etc, I leave the keel either partially or fully raised, so it is not too ‘encrusted’.

Anyway, good luck

John

235/07 Diamond

Denis
  • Denis
  • Member Topic Starter
2024-01-30T11:35:06Z
Hi John, thank you for responding to my post.

That sounds like a good arrangement you have with the boatyard. I store my boat at home and I don't have easy access to a local boat yard. This time I am keen to get the keel out over Easter for a full inspection/ repair. I hope to take lots of photos of the different stages and if possible make these available to others.

Regards

Denis