terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-11-21T22:21:00Z
I'v got a slight "weep" throught what appears to be the deck/hull joint in several places. I'v managed to tighten the bolts about another turn and can get more if necessary but how tight should the bolts be wrung up ? Is this seepage a common thing with the 28 and am I wasting my time trying to stop it ?

why the joint was not "glassed" on manufacture is beyond me . A simple job done on build would have saved a lot of hassle in later years [}:)]

Cheers

Terry

PS Its lonely posting on here innit [:)]

If its got tits or sails its going to be expensive
Mike Edwards
2007-11-22T07:40:46Z
hello Terry

I was not aware of a leak at the time but just as a precaution, I have put a thin external bead of sikaflex down the whole length of the inboard edge of the toe rail to seal the joint to the deck.

I had a problem with slight weeping through the window/deck joint I again stopped this with an external bead of sikaflex.

My main problem with leaks when I got Aztec was through the stanchion base bolt holes. These had caused drips of water all over the switch panel by the starb'd chart table.

I fixed this by removing the stanchion bases, thoroughly cleaning and re-seating on a 3mm bed of new sikaflex, which I allowed to go hard before putting another thin layer on top and replacing the base, and then bolting down. By allowing the first layer of sikaflex to harden before replacing the base, it ensured that not all the sikaflex squeezed out when I bolted down the base, and hence there is a nice flexible gasket which can take up the slight flexing at the base without breaking the seal.

No leaks now. Been OK for 6 years now. Allthough the sikaflex which is exposed to the sun is showing surface chalking.

I know what you mean about not many postings here, the 28 owners must be a contented lot.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-11-23T17:51:30Z
Cheers for that Mike . Will come up with ideas for another post to keep the "28" forum alive [;)]
If its got tits or sails its going to be expensive
Neil Sinclair
2007-11-27T13:20:15Z
I found several of the bolts were leaking, especially in the forward cabin - the nuts underneath showed brown stains. I took the leaky ones out and refitted them with a good blob of sealant. Did the trick!

Neil

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'