terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-11-23T17:59:40Z
I have an idea to fit an eberspacher diesel heater to extend winter cruising . Has anyone fitted one into a "28" ?? If so where and what problem encountered ??

Because we normally cruise with a couple of small dogs we visit marinas regularly so I'v installed a 240V ring main to enjoy the marina facilites now have 6 sockets around the boat so will be dimming the surrounding area next seson when I start abusing the marina supply[;)]

Cheers

Terry

If its got tits or sails its going to be expensive
Mike Edwards
2007-11-23T19:33:55Z
hello again, its not been so long this time.

I have a Eberspacher heater fitted in my engine compartment on the starb'd side. The exhaust and intake pipes exit through the hull side via the starb'd cockpit locker. The hot air tube goes forward, turns to starb'd and enters the main saloon under the chart table.

Unfortunately the twat who had Aztec before me and fitted it used a 24v one. The wiring for this melted when I reconnected the batteries before I realised that they had to be separated with a cross over switch. (there was no wiring diagram to warn me it was a bodged 24v - 12v system).

I rewired it with a switch that operated a fail safe system of relays which switched the batteries from parallel to series so I could use the heater. But in the end I never used it as it turned out to be too noisy. (It must have been worn out, think the new ones are probably quieter)

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-11-23T19:55:42Z
Hmmmm I'v read bad reports on the PBO/Yachting monthly forums too . When you did use it was it powerfull enough to heat the whole boat mike ? I was going to use a "non" marine unit from a BT van . If they are that noisy I'll look from summin different . Really do need a fitted system of some description cos we want to use it all year round .Up to now we have used Gas heating but too much condensation to use it all the time . Next bit of fun will be refitting the fridge . The previous owner removed the one that was fitted for some reason[:(] All the fitting are there except the gas OB vent pipe. I expect that will cost an arm and a leg for a new piece .

Cheers

Terry

Mike Edwards
2007-11-25T19:56:34Z
Terry

I did not think much of the heater from point of output, I am not sure what one it was but there was not much heat coming out. If you wanted to heat the whole boat you are going to need 3 outlets, I only had the one into the main saloon.

I used it so infrequently because it was noisy, my experience is not a good one to make a jugement on, ask a few more people what they think of them. My unit may have been knackered.

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

terry
  • terry
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-11-26T13:12:18Z
"ask a few more people what they think of them

What on this forum Mike ?[:D] You gotta be joking . Its soooooooo lonely here [;)]

cheers for your help anyway Mike .

PaulBurton
2007-11-26T16:39:27Z
I fitted a second hand ex BT van 12v one in my last boat (Snapdragon26) worked a treat with no problems. Only one vent, the hot air wasn't that hot but it was damm welcome on a cold or wet day.

I had it for 3 seasons and used it a lot in the winter...

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362