Stephen Godber
2009-01-20T20:50:01Z

I know many of you have autohelms and tiller pilots but I just want a simple way of holding the tiller whilst brewing a kettle or whatever.

There are several options like 'Tillermate' which utilises a friction rope that you tighten to hold the tiller in place.

However, there was a thing called "TillerFriend" (reviewed in Sailing Today Dec 2006) which used a tiller extension that clipped into a fold-away hook on the coaming. It meant no ropes or friction wheels to adjust and it was brilliant.

It is shown on the ProBoat website but not available - does anyone have any experience of this product and better still any idea of where to buy one?

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
GeoffTurner
2009-01-21T08:57:43Z
There's a web page here http://www.skipfriend.it/english.htm  which gives a UK contact: Mr. Gordon Pickett, friendtiller AT tiscali.co.uk

I like the idea!

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
Stephen Godber
2009-02-03T10:38:47Z
Thanks Geoff - I've e-mailed him but no joy!

I got a phone call from David Boyle (BeBe 235/49)saying he had achieved the same thing using a 15mm pipe clip screwed to the coaming, which makes huge sense and costs a few pence!

So I shall adapt something similar, although with a 'stick' tiller extension I may need to buy a 'cruiser handle' type.

Thanks Geoff, and David too.

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
gordonpickett
2009-03-12T08:19:33Z
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephen Godber

Thanks Geoff - I've e-mailed him but no joy!

Quote:

Apologies to those Parker owners who have tried to contact me but my e-mail address was published on the manufacturer's website and the result has been a gross spam overload.The old address is now discontinued

Genuine messages have probably been buried in the rubbish.

So, I am constructing a UK site
www.friendchandlers.co.uk 
e-mail: - info @ friendchandlers.co.uk
(I have introduced spaces in the e-mail address to defeat spammers- just delete them for transmission)

and I can only reassure interested parties that the product is available in the UK by mail, or collection in Kent, at great prices

kate.hattersley
2009-03-13T17:21:31Z
I can recommend using shock cord as a short term solution. I have two pieces with a loop on either end. They are just the right length to reach from the cleat on each side deck to the tiller and I leave them attached to the cleats. When I am going forward to pick up a mooring or drop anchor or gybe the spinnaker or whatever I just pick up the loose ends and drop them over the tiller. The tension holds the tiller in the midline but not so firmly that you cannot steer with your leg while holding the sheets or whatever. You generally get a minute or so before the boat starts to wander off course if the sails are well balanced. For more hard core use I have a Raymarine tiller pilot which is great unless its really windy when it can't keep up with the weather helm.

Kate
Kate
Terry Gates
2011-06-11T11:23:50Z
Has anyone tried this Tiller Friend? I currently use a length of cord and two cam cleats under the tiller which usually works OK except when well off the wind. But I am looking for an extendable tiller with a loop hand-hold to make things more comfortable. If anyone has tried one of these tillers I would be interested to hear how they got on with it.

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
ARRussell
2011-06-11T13:14:39Z
My boat had a Tiller Tamer fitted when I bought her and I find it very useful. Its advantages are that, with its adjustable friction, it can be set to hold the tiller wherever you leave it while still allowing you to steer: just let go to attend to something else - e.g. jib sheets - and the tiller stays put. If a firmer hold is needed, just turn the knob under the tiller. Since it can hold the tiller in any position, including hard over, it's very useful for heaving-to - a particularly common manoeuvre when single-handing: you just heave-to, position the tiller as required and turn the knob.

Assuming you don't need a new tiller extension, it's less than half the price of the Tiller Friend, too!

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Brian Banham
2011-06-13T10:34:24Z
I have also fitted a Tiller Tamer but had to put a small block on top of tiller so that extension arm cleared locking nut. I had previously installed the tamer under tiller so that it did not clash with extension but it fouled outboard when in raised position.
Early days but tiller seems to work ok and also holds rudder in central position when on mooring.

Regards

Brian Banham 235/59
Brian Banham 235/59