frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:20:00Z
New post to prevent these questions being hidden in my whinge about bulletin board use.

I have a 1980 Superseal, deep fin keel which, despite having been seriouly sailed (single handed to the Med, by all accounts)could use a little detail attention.

Is there a recognised gas bottle locker aft of the port cockpit locker? My boat has an empty space behind the locker.

The cockpit has little/no provision for small items needing ready access, e.g. binoculars, knife, hand held GPS/VHF etc. hence the next two items.

Noted that Peter's boat, Cleo, has a cover for the outboard tank, anybody fitted a lazarette in this place?

Are cave lokers fitted to any boats in the cockpit?

I am using and intend to keep, the centre mainsheet system; I think this needs a powerful kicker, there is barely enouugh room to get to 8:1 by casading blocks, any experience with this?

The 4:1 mainsheet blocks hoop-to-boom go block-bound on fully sheeting the main, is this normal?

The forward mainsheet block on the boom twists and has worn and cracked the plastic outer, how do I fix this, i.e. stop the block twisting?

Boom is low, is this normal?

The coachroof pads for rope clutches are too small to take my desired number (three port six starboard).

I find the cabin table not user friendly, what other arrangements work better?

Insufficient storage for wet foul weather gear.

Do any fixed keel boats have a door on the heads?

Frank Marsden

Frank Marsden
Phil L
2004-11-17T16:21:00Z
Frank, I am a new owner of the last Superseal 26. Here are some observations/comments:

Is there a recognised gas bottle locker aft of the port cockpit locker? My boat has an empty space behind the locker.

I have a dedicated draining gas locker abaft lazarette on port side. I have seen others with a similar looking locker lid on Stbd quarter also.

The cockpit has little/no provision for small items needing ready access, e.g. binoculars, knife, hand held GPS/VHF etc. hence the next two items.

Noted that Peter's boat, Cleo, has a cover for the outboard tank, anybody fitted a lazarette in this place?

Some very early Superseals had a hinge up GRP shelf on inside face of transom - provided athwartship cockpit bench under tiller.

Are cave lokers fitted to any boats in the cockpit?
Were fitted on my Seal 22 - looks feasible to add.

I am using and intend to keep, the centre mainsheet system; I think
needs a powerful kicker, there is barely enouugh room to get to 8:1 by casading blocks, any experience with this?

Recommend a full width traveller at aft edge of bridge deck. Gives excellent control of twist and enables rapid feathering in gusts whilst keeping headsail powered up. Track fitte here allows sheet to clear sprayhood cheeks most of time.

The 4:1 mainsheet blocks hoop-to-boom go block-bound on fully sheeting the main, is this normal?

See above - sheet does most of work now until off the wind.

The forward mainsheet block on the boom twists and has worn and cracked the plastic outer, how do I fix this, i.e. stop the block twisting?

See above again.

Boom is low, is this normal?

Some sail cuts seem to do this - more area for racers! I would get foot recut for personal safety - or wear a climbing helmet.

The coachroof pads for rope clutches are too small to take my desired number (three port six starboard).

I have 4 each side

I find the cabin table not user friendly, what other arrangements work better?
I would prefer a slimmer table fwd & attached to galley half bulkhead for food prep/serving. A positive locking of the mounting bracket seems a worthwhile project. ny ideas of a simple solution?

Insufficient storage for wet foul weather gear.

I intend to devise a fabrick shelf to pull up under midship locker over trotter box of port saloon berth - to clear feet when sleeping.
To add:
The PAR Brydon Tiolet's seat appears ridiculously high from cabin sole. My feet hardly reach ground & I am 5'11". It also feels like it should have perhaps been mounted against fwd bulkhead to give more headroom, but it does just about work for me. I would be interested in converting to a Lavac system for simplicity/reliability.

This boat is a real Tardis that also has incredible performance and versatility. You've got to accept a few small compromises I think.

I have just finished mods to keel hoist similar to Elsa's to allow full clearance for beaching & scraping mud to get back to my half tide mooring. I can give details of Seasure blocks used & through keel block I made if there's any interest. Its a 4:1 purchase with just a simple single line back from keel trunk. A good heave & up it pops.

More mods to rudder to get more area forward to aid balance/load on tiller. Strongly recommend fitting of overload self releasing Clam cleat for downhaul to avoid damage when scraping over shoals.

I am very keen to try & reproduce sliding chart table from early Superseals, but Joinery is different on my Seal. The wider frame/part bulhead under sidedeck partly obstructs and would need surgery.

Best thing I've done is fit Sterling Pro advanced alternator controller. Batteries are 100% charged - always - with negligible running of Bukh. Has full protection from overheating of Alternator & Battery, puts a decent load on the engine to save it wastefully idling & can be switched iff temporarily to assist starting in winter.
Phil Longhurst
frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:21:00Z
Phil, thank you for the observations.

I have done some work.

Firstly, the boom, it has been lowered on my boat by 350mm, this is the cause of the block problem. I don't know why this has been done, but the height is just acceptable. The main does not reach the upper black band.

I have obtained a Harken recirculating ball traveller and will fit this on the companionway, but will retain the hoop system for casual sailing/delivery trips/cruising, i.e. carry two mainsheet sets.

I have made a hand held chart board, A2 size, placed VHF/GPS in a starboard locker, and sit in the forepart of the quarter berth, where I can wedge in. Instrument system is Navman 3100 depth and repeater in cockpit, Navman 7100 DSC VHF and Garmin 152 gps. This gives me all the information both in the cockpit and in the cabin, except wind. (Garmin 152 can receive nmea data)

I am not a proper SSA member as my boat has the 5' 3" fixed fin keel.

I think a folding table which would go where the keel case is would be the best solution. Must be able, however to store the charts. Would then abandon the original table. A extra clip on/folding board by the cooker bulkhead, is close to essential. I had a Hustler 25.5 which had a trotter box there for the port bunk, and even that gave barely enough space.

My boat has an outboard fuel tank locker at the port aft end of the cockpit, used for gas.
As the boat has an outboard bracket, and storage for an outboard in the heads. I intend to get at least a 5hp outboard. Diesel props get fouled; I have had that three times in as many years.

Frank

Frank Marsden