Phil L
2004-11-11T17:17:00Z
First posted : 17/05/1999 14:21:22

Its now time to do something about the small weep that appeared at the lower rear edge of my Mk 2's keel case last season. One suggestion is that I should be able to block her up on the trailer enough to lower the keel partly, cut back to clean GRP from underneath, and lay in some epoxy/glass. Have you any experience or comments on this or the total refurbishment option/techniques/costs? Does anybody have hands small enough anyway?

Also, has anyone succeeded in replacing or beefing up the flimsy original GRP forehatch moulding. I appreciate that the odd shape and camber means that fitting a replacement will requir some remoulding of the coachroof/surround area, or a a wooden plinth/infill may be required - but I'm amazed we haven't lost ours over the side yet. Any information would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Phil Longhurst

Geoff Harwood
First posted :

Seal 22 keel case repair and forehatch improvement

A weep at the lower rear edge of the keel case suggests that the keel has taken a hefty whack on an underwater obstruction at some time. I remember an article in the newsletter describing how a 22 hit the wreck off the Needles on a ROIW race damaging the back of the keel casing so much that they only just made it back to Yarmouth bailing furiously. The back of the casing takes some of the strain every time you touch bottom under way with the keel part up so if there is any cracking in this area it really does need to be properly seen to.

I would certainly check underneath for any sign of cracks aft from the back of the slot.

If you haven't yet lost your forehatch lid over the side, I should lose no time in making a mould from it so that you can make a spare, prehaps to a beefier layup. Most people have theirs blow away and not having the original as a pattern, cut their losses and convert to a proper Houdini hatch, building up the surround to suit. There is a market for hatch lids which will continue so long as there are original lids in use and the wind continues to blow.

Geoff Harwood

First posted : 11/12/1999 11:52:17

This is probably much too late, but here goes anyway.

Can't help with the keelbox problem, but Phil Linsell (ex TULENA) fitted a new forehatch just before he sold the boat this summer. Give him a ring - he's still a member and is a helpful guy.

Our hatch has a retaining cord on one side, and I just tuck the hatch on the side-deck inside the shrouds. I like the wide access and don't think I would want to restrict it.

Fraser Old

Phil L
2004-11-11T17:18:00Z
First posted : 14/01/2000 12:02:53

Fraser,

Last season I added SS hinges to the aft end of my hatch - well worth the effort.

How long have you had your 22 and where do you sail?

Ours is on a drying mud mooring up Holbrook creek on the Suffolk/Essex border. It really is a family boat - 2 young daughters - and takes us to picnic/swimming sites or exploring estuaries. It is often littered with childrens books and cuddly toys.

Happy sailing,

Phil

Phil Longhurst