Peter
  • Peter
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-02-24T17:13:00Z
Hi
This looks like a great site for those looking for these yachts, best yacht site Ive come across so far!

I am thinking of buying a seal 28 as it seems to offer most of what I am looking for, and the one Im looking at has a fin keel, not lifting.

I am 6'1" and was wondering if anyone here could give me some info on these yachts, ie

Can I stand up in one,or at best can I lie in comfort somewhere on the boat?
How do they sail, are they stiff or tender, fast or slow and how well do they point up?
What are their vices?
Are they good seaboats?
Any contributions would be gratefully received....
peter cox
Neil Sinclair
2005-02-25T13:44:00Z
Peter

You could certainly lie full length on the stbd settee with your feet under the chart table.

My 28 is a lift keel boat. She is stiff and prefers to sail upright. I guess this is because of the broad transom stern unbalancing the hull when she heels. It certainly pays to pull a reef down in the mainsail early.

She is not directionally very stable - you can't leave the tiller unless the autohelm is on. Mind you this is an advantage in the marina - she turns on a sixpence. The fin keel boat might track better since there is more keel deeper in the water.

Once you have the sail plan set up for the conditions, she doesn't give any problem at sea. Just sit up on the cockpit coaming, watch her cut through the waves and let the autopilot worry about the steering!

Points to look out for - the rudder bottom bearing can work loose in the grp skeg, leaks can develop along the hull/deck joint, the bow fitting can work loose, allowing leaks into the forepeak, the stancheon bases can also work loose and, as always, the engine installation can generate a multitude of problems.

Is the fin keel boat you're interested in the one at Thornham Marina? If so, she looks a very tidy example - but get a reputable surveyor to check her over!

Cheers for now! Neil

Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Peter
  • Peter
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-02-26T12:13:00Z
Neil

Thanks for the response. The one I'm looking at is at a yard down on the Hamble, I dont know whether that is the same one. She has wheel steering with a fin keel and the old Volvo engine which is my only reservation but seems to be in good order although I am waiting for interior photographs of her.
Could you give me some idea of what these yachts normally retail for and are they particularly prone to the dreaded 'O'?
peter cox
Don Harvey
2005-02-27T18:24:00Z
Neil

Seal 28s go for something between £10-£18K.

I have never heard of a case of Osmosis on a Seal or Parker boat.

There were a number of Seal and Parker boats built with fixed keels, but bear in mind that this could restrict you if you were to attempt to come on some of the SSA rallies should you become a member.

Regards

Don Harvey

Don Harvey
Regards
Don Harvey
Neil Sinclair
2005-02-27T22:25:00Z
Peter

I took some measurements while I was at the yard today. Headroom in the saloon is maximum under the hatch - 73.5 inches. Elsewhere it varies but is about 69 - 70 inches. The settees in the saloon are both 76 inches and the focsl berths are 75 inches along the centre line. The after cabin berths are 73 inches also along the centre line. Put your towel on the stbd settee in the saloon - that's where the Master should be anyway and it'll keep the handbags off the chart table!

Did you want any info on the boat at Thornham Marina (Chichester Harbour)? - the yard hand told me she was for sale when I was admiring her last weekend. I think she's called Sealoner. She is cutter rigged with wheel steering, davits, radar and a bimini. She is very well cared for so I guess she'll be at the top end of the market. Still, a lot cheaper than a Moody!

Cheers! Neil

Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Neil Sinclair
2005-02-28T20:31:00Z
Sorry, she's called Sea Vespa and she's with Chichester Harbour Brokerage on www.chiharbour.co.uk 

Neil

Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Peter
  • Peter
  • Member Topic Starter
2005-03-02T20:41:00Z
Thanks for the responses to Neil and Don. Its very good of you to go to all that trouble measuring Neil so thank you. Interesting that the brochure says headroom is 6ft plus in the cabin!
The yacht I am awaiting photos (still) for is at Moodys at Swanick on the Hamble. It looks from a distance a good purchase at £12500 and it actually has a sole diesel which are used extensively in the med and are considered highly reliable, at least by the Spanish. If you search on ybw.com she will come up under 'seal 28' called 'sealandra'. Maybe you know the boat? Let me know what you think?
Cheers
Peter
peter cox
Neil Sinclair
2005-03-04T08:45:00Z
Its a good price for a lot of boat! Don't neglect to get a survey done, though. I was saved from buying a maritime disaster just across the river from Moody's. £400 for the surveyor sounds a lot, but compared to the cost of unlooked for repairs - even done yourself - its good value.

Good luck! Neil

Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'