Richard Seaby
2005-03-15T07:42:00Z
Hi

I have a SS 26 with the Bukh 10 Hp in her. When she is running there is a small pipe (4-5 mm?) - in line with the rudder, that discharges water. Is this right? I havent seen it on other boats. Is it a sign something is blocked? I have traced it back to the rear of the engine but I am new to inboards.

Also my boat has no tools onboard - Has any one got a list of what spanners etc are needed for the engine?

Thanks all

Richard

Richard Seaby

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
Phil
2005-03-15T22:25:00Z
No panic - this is good and normal.

This water provides a tell-tale indication that cooling water is pumping through and out of the engine (and cooling the exhausr casting). It also - importantly - provides a syphon break to prevent the possibility of water syphoning back to the engine (by letting air in when engin is stopped.

These are very good engines, long lived, although parts are expensive. I have quickly learnt that looking after the fuel system is paramount to avoid ongoing problems. Ensure the tank is clean and that the fuel filler cap has a good seal to prevent deck water entering. Check/change filters regularly and use an additive (soltron) to prevent/deal with risk of fuel bug/water in fuel.

If its not been looked at in recent years, have the head taken off and inspected/gasket replaced as a preventative measure. If the "don't fix if it ain't broke" approach is taken, you can end up with erosion wdamage to cylinder and head - a lot more trouble.

The Bukh seems a very tight fit and an inspection mirror and portable fluorescent light are a must. Few special tools are required, combination metric spanner set, high quality allen keys and socket set will do for most tasks. A filter strap wrench (Alligator type) is useful amd one off the PELA oil draining vacuum pumps (cheapest about £20 from Compass) is recommended to suck oil out via dipstick hole. The drain plug is only for the most courageous.

Phil

Phil

Seal 22 "Sealark" Sail No 54

Richard Seaby
2005-03-16T21:30:00Z
Thanks for that - Just the info I needed. Good idea about the overhaul. I think the engine has been well maintained (Up until now!!!). So I will get it checked when the boat is next of the water.

A silly question I know, but how do I find how much fuel is in the tank? Do I drop some string down the filler cap, or just fill it an guess my usage? I might be missing a dip stick or something but I couldn’t see it.

Thanks for the advice

Richard

Richard Seaby

Claudia Jean, SS 26 - No100, Keyhaven
Phil
2005-03-23T19:48:00Z
I am lucky enough to have inherited a newish tank that is semi-transparent plastic. I'm not sure what arrangements thare are on steel tanks but guess there would be a "sight-tube" solution possible. One other advantage of the plastic tank is you can readily see if there is sludge or water in the fuel.

You would almost certainly get a quick answer on the Practical Boat Owner forum at

http://www.ybw.com/forum...ist.php/Cat/0/Board/pbo/ 

Its a very entertaining site anyway.

Phil

Phil

Seal 22 "Sealark" Sail No 54