Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.



Go to last post Go to first unread
Ken Surplice  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2015 20:09:52(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 212
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire

20th June 2015 River Hamble up river barbecue

My fair weather friends, join me this Saturday in June and venture up-river to explore the parts of the River Hamble where yellow wellies and racing yachts are banned. All you will see is wonderful scenery and folks pottering in small craft. Close your eyes and all you will hear is the sound of the birds, and, unavoidably, the purr of my freshly serviced 2HP outboard motor.

There are three scenarios for this rally. Well decide on which one to opt for in the preceding week, so do watch our web forum or give me a call.

  • Scenario 1 - It is gloriously warm and sunny. In this case we will venture up river then stop on the riverbank, spread our blankets and light our barbecues. While we are waiting for that perfect charcoal glow, we can pop corks, pull ring pulls or go for a swim in the river. We’ll take it in turns to guard again invading cows. Just kidding….they’re bulls.

  • Scenario 2 - It is dull but otherwise OK. In this case we will forget about barbecues and head for the Horse and Jockey Pub at Curbridge where we will enjoy a pub lunch. The landlady was very welcoming last year and a repeat visit would be good. Shore access at high water is good. There was talk of adding a pontoon but the pub is still is in negotiation with the council. There is a small jetty to clamber up.

  • Scenario 3 - It is raining or howling with wind. In this case there is no point in venturing out so I will abandon the rally.

If coming by yacht

My base is at Deacons Boatyard, the last yacht-accessible marina on the Hamble and the perfect place to set off up river. For those of you overnighting on Friday or Saturday nights, let me know and I will arrange a visitors berth and key to pontoons and showers. Facilities at this recently refitted marina are excellent. The yard office is closed from 4pm on Saturdays and all day Sundays so I will take care of access and pay on your behalf (temporarily). The berthing fee includes a 10% rally discount, power and showers. Price per night for a 27 foot yacht it £25. For 35 footers, price per night is £31.

If coming by car

Find me to gain access to toilets, to pontoons to launch your dinghy and to exit the car park after 6pm.


  • Friday high water is 1350. Saturday high water is 1435.

  • Saturday noon – pre-expedition drinks on Vol-au-vent in Deacons Boatyard

  • Saturday 1245 – depart and head up river.

  • Saturday evening – head for a local pub or eat on board

  • Sunday 0930 – optional breakfast in on site café. £6.50 for a full breakfast. Recommended.

Equipment check

  • Dinghy and outboard or canoe and muscles.

  • If canoeing, rope to beg for a tow when your muscles have had enough

  • A stake and painter to tie your craft to the river bank

  • BBQ, coals, lighter and food if the weather is nice. Picnic blanket.

  • Swimming costume and towel.

  • Sunglasses, hat, sun cream and bull repellent.

  • Corkscrew.

  • Cash or credit card if you are going to the pub.

Please let know in advance that you plan to attend so I can make arrangements with boatyard and pub, according to our chosen scenario.

Party leader:

Number in party:

Boat name:

Boat type and length:

Special requirements:

Berthing at Deacon’s: Friday / Saturday / None:

Sunday breakfast at Deacon’s café (highly recommended): yes / no

The week before the rally, I will be watching the weather and choosing our scenario. Please check for updates on the web site or call me (number in handbook) or write to ken dot surplice at btinternet dot com.

Looking forward to your company,

Ken – Parker 275/25 Vol-au-vent

Ken Surplice
Ken Surplice  
#2 Posted : 15 June 2015 22:31:04(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 212
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire


Hi Folks. It is Monday and the outlook is good. Friday is forecast to be warm and sunny and Saturday and Sundayvshould see light cloud, light winds and light clothing.

Meanwhile crews from Ruby Star, Zephyr and Sophia will join crew Vol-au-vent. There are probably more lurking in my email. I will check and report back tomorrow.

So...the rally is on with BBQ looking most likely but let's wait until Wednesday to take the final BBQ or pub decision.

Cheers. Ken

Ken Surplice
Ken Surplice  
#3 Posted : 16 June 2015 20:10:41(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 212
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire


It's Tuesday and the weather outlook is still good. We will aim to barbecue unless the weather gods change their mood.

Crews attending:

  • Vol-au-vent

  • Ruby Star

  • Sophia

  • Zephyr

  • Penlu

Any more for any more?


Ken Surplice
Ken Surplice  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2015 18:15:25(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 212
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire


Wednesday's news

  • We're near enough to Saturday for my tide program to confirm that high water is at 3pm but it's pretty much high from 2pm-5pm and you can arrive at any state of tide

  • Tomorrow I will report which berths Deacons Yard have allocated for visitors Ruby Star and Zephyr (confirmed) and Penlu (tentative)

  • Rally berthing rates last time were £25 for 27 feet and £30 for 32-ish feet, including power and showers

  • Timing remains unchanged: Saturday noon – pre-expedition drinks on Vol-au-vent in Deacons Boatyard. Saturday 1245 – depart and head up river.

  • Weather: 20 degrees; mostly sunny; maybe a spot of rain before we set off and after we return

Ken Surplice
#5 Posted : 18 June 2015 09:41:59(UTC)
Rank: Member

Posts: 22

Hi Ken & Sue,

We would love to attend but have now sold Bonaire "boo hoo" and handover day is Sunday.

On the look out for her replacement and will keep in touch.

Ade & Pam

Ken Surplice  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2015 18:23:58(UTC)
Rank: Advanced Member

Posts: 212
Location: Basingstoke, Hampshire


Adding Tara. Now we are Vol-au-vent, Ruby Star, Sophia, Zephyr, Penlu, Tara.

Ruby Star and Zephyr staying Saturday night.

Zephyr staying Saturday and Sunday nights.

Penlu maybe staying Saturday night.

New: there is demand to eat out on Saturday night. It's optional. We will propose a local pub and I will phone rallyers and make a booking if required.Ditto for Sunday breakfast.

Apologies for absence: Bonair. New boat coming ;-).

See you Saturday and there's room for more if you want to joint at late notice.


Ken Surplice
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.